To The Faithful Departed Review

The Cranberries: To The Faithful Departed
Released: Apr 29, 1996
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Island
This album was dedicated to the passing of two very important people in the Cranberries' life: Joe (Dolores' grandfather) and Denny Cordell.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
To The Faithful Departed Reviewed by: kttunstallator3, on january 11, 2010

Sound: To The Faithful Departed, The Cranberries' third album, was surely a great follow-up to the two previously produced albums; "Everyone Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We" and "No Need To Argue". This album was dedicated to the passing of two very important people in the Cranberries' life: Joe (Dolores' grandfather) and Denny Cordell (who signed the band to Island records). // 9

Lyrics: The songs appear to be a slide-show presentation of a home movie of some sort from a person's life, which makes up the whole album. What I mean by this is that the first track, "Hollywood", the lyrics capture the reality of the 'glam world' so to speak, that being famous, in the spotlight, being rich, having your choice of men/women is not what it's cracked up to be. "Salvation" suggests the power to be free and not let your mind be corrupted. Others like "I Just Shot John Lennon" and "Free To Decide" was a, how you would say, question and answer part. Clearly "I Just Shot John Lennon" was about putting in perspective the shooter's view, and this was/is a very disturbing and dismal subject. "Free To Decide", I personally think that is a response to the John Lennon song because it evokes his spirit's emotions throughout his life. Dolores O'Riordan almost never falls short of conveying her Irish roots into her music, which makes it unique and not just to be considered 'alternative rock'. With her frequent yodels, chants, ad-libbing, or vocalizing, it personificates the instruments, the music, and their image. This is a woman who truly knows how to use her vocal cords. // 9

Overall Impression: My suggestion would be to start at the Cranberries' debut album first, then work your way down to the second, and finally to this album. Heck yes I would buy this if my clumsy self were to lose/misplace it. Such a talented band who keeps on delivering. Songs such as "Salvation", "Free To Decide", and "I Just Shot John Lennon" are the true stars of this cd, but don't get me wrong, I am fond of the rest of the cd. The Cranberries won't disappoint, that's for sure. // 10

Comments