Mens Needs Womens Needs Whatever review by The Cribs

• Released: May 21, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
The Cribs: Mens Needs Womens Needs Whatever

When I first so the video for "Your'e Gonna Lose Us" from their previous album "The New Fellas", I have to say that I couldn't connect, something about the raw and 'falsetto' guitar playing and use of heavy Yorkshire accent, which wasn't acquainted with my ear that put me off from listening to them. A few months later I discovered how great "Your'e gonna lose us" is. So when I watched the video for "Men's need" from their new album, I loved the upbeat rate of the song and gave the album a chance, I soon discovered that I like most of the tracks, weather theyr'e upbeat and happy, or slow and melancholic. They have a very clear indie-britpop sound that any fan of the genre can connect to. The only problem with the sound that I had is that the guitar is sometimes too squeeky to my ears, and can get quite 'annoying' at times, but I don't let my appreciation of the album fall all that much. Overall, as much as the great songs can blind you, the sound, or is it even the style, just seems to make this album sound like what would happen if an indie band would go to a big studio and record an album and decide that the quality is too good= great indie production.

Well, the lyrics are very social, the fact that the two brothers sing with such an heavy accent can only show that they are very rooted, and it fits the music, the tune moves from a sometimes very fast and down right punky songs like 'Our Bovine Public' and 'Majors Titling Victory', to a yet subtle, slow and gentle melodies, for an example, 'Shoot The Poets' and 'I've Tried Everything' the lyrics can be criticizing, but unless it's actually explicit, as a lot of songs can mean different things, depends at how you look at it. But nonetheless, no matter about what they are written, in comparison to other bands who are out there, the lyrics can be witty, beautiful and wise.

So I've been following this group for a while. This release at the moment is my favourite, it's just seems like the production jumoed up a step and the insturments are built well and solid together, song structures can be a bit short at times but too the point and I can't even say that some songs are "digging" too much, starting from the biting and stinging 'Our Bovine Public' to the epic and philosophical 'Be Safe', which guests Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo. It's a fun album and one that you can always go back to when you can't seem to find the right band to suit you, musicwise, at the moment. The songs are beautiful and this album is totally worth getting. and now for the hundred dollar question; yes, I would buy it again, as it somehow seems to just hit my genre spot.