Mens Needs Womens Needs Whatever Review

The Cribs: Mens Needs Womens Needs Whatever
Release Date: May 21, 2007
Label: V2
Genres: Indie Rock
The Cribs aren't strikingly original, yet, but this album sums up where they've been, and where they could go, nicely.
 8.7
 7.8
 9.6
Mens Needs Womens Needs Whatever Reviewed by: Northern_Soul, on june 26, 2007

Sound: Sonically The New Fellas (Wakefield boys the Jarman brothers' third album) is an evolution on what could be described as their signature sound. Ryan Jarman's scratchy combination of an ancient Fender Starcaster and battered Orange amp is scored all over this album, providing a white wash of distortion to back the poppy hooks of main vocalist and bassist Gary jarman. It all sounds like it's been recorded in a rusty baked bean tin (knowing The Cribs, it may well have been) but that only adds to it's charm; you almost feel like you could get tetenus off these infectious indie pop gems. Bashing (possibly literally) the cans is younger brother of the twins Jared, and his talent is beyond reproach on this cd; hitting the middle line between the tendency to overdo the disco hi-hat clatter (a la Franz Ferdinand) and bashing the living shit out of the cymbals (a la Gary Powell of Dirty Pretty Things) he provides a trashy backbeat for the twins catchy interplay. There are guest instruments (see 'It Was Only Love' for a beautiful Hammond organ section) but it's the twins guitar and bass combo that really makes you want to listen again. it's all light hearted, fun and above all perfect indie pop. // 8

Lyrics: The over riding theme of the lyrics to even the most casual of listeners is anger. The Cribs have a long and well documented feud with the leeches and fakers of the Wakefield indie scene and this album is their most vitriolic bite back yet. Tired of their doubters and haters (and of the vacuos scenester kids), songs like 'Martell' and 'Hey Scenesters!' all smack of dissaffection and deride with a sharp wit. A sample lyric about the underhandedness of their enemy's in 'Martell' sees Gary Jarman sneering 'Oh yeah and one more thing/your tone is annoying/if you can't beat us, don't join us/just post rumours on forums'. The pinnacle of this arrives in the song 'The Wrong Way To Be' which is now their traditional set closer. Over a snarling, snake bite guitar drone Gary Jarman shouts out his greivances and launching a trash talk style fight back with some lyrics being 'How can someone who's only lived through other people/have so much to say? ' and 'Y'know your scene has got a lot to answer for/like all these clued up arseholes tryin' to set us and Wakefield at war'. Although there are many other subjects such as lazy days and lost love covered in The Cribs' unique way on this album, it's their responses to their haters that are most exciting. // 9

Overall Impression: The Cribs may always be cursed with their reputation of being the permanent 'next big thing' but if that is so, then this will surely be a finest hour to be proud of. After listening to this CD I'm sure you'll wish I'd have given this a ten and I want to too; but there's simply a few too many tracks on it and it runs for longer than it needs to. But take it from me, it makes no difference. Tracks like 'Hey Scenesters', 'Martell', 'Mirror Kissers' and 'The Wrong Way To Be' will make a ten appear as as unnescessary as it really is. // 9

Mens Needs Womens Needs Whatever Reviewed by: matty99, on november 03, 2007

Sound: It seems that with each album Ryan, Gary and Ross Jarman have made together, their sound has become more distinct. Men's Need's, Women's Needs Whatever see's a much more cleaner production style, but it has brought out the best of the band. The riffs are clearer, the bass is cleaner, and the drums do not sound like they were recorded in a shed. The music itself shows us that Ryan Jarman hasn't even come close to running out of catchy riffs to use in songs, each track produces another hook that is bound to lodge itself in your brain for the remainder of your day (particularly the lead single 'Men's Needs' and the tremolo heavy 'My Life Flashed Before My Eyes'). Gary on bass and Ross on drums do an amazing job of holding together the songs together with style and flair. // 8

Lyrics: Perhaps the albums title is a clue that the lyrical themes throughout relate to relationships, the only exceptions are the opener 'Our Bovine Public' and 'I've Tried Everything' the latter being about the boy's hometown of Wakefield. Perhaps another thing you may expect from a Cribs album is the occasional jibe, the rants at movie stars and music television are a little more subtle than on their previous album. The vocals themselves are mainly taken by bassist Gary throughout the album, and his delivery is almost perfect, from the husky rasp on the chorus of Men's Needs to the more melodic Moving pictures, he shows that he has a lot to offer than just shouting into a microphone. Ryan also does his bit, showing he can sing as well as shout, although the singing does come about a bit less often. // 8

Overall Impression: This album shows us that that the Cribs are by far one of the most under rated bands in the UK, this album beats any similar sounding artists this year by a mile. The most notable tunes on the record are the storming 'Our Bovine Public,' lead single 'Men's Needs' and the gloriously catchy 'I'm A Realist.' There doesn't seem to be any filler on the album, and there is clearly a lot of effort put into making music more than generating sales. Not afraid to speak their mind, this is a reminder to everyone that The Cribs are not merely a gobby trio from Yorkshire, but one of the best guitar bands in Britain. // 9

Mens Needs Womens Needs Whatever Reviewed by: jagstang270, on june 23, 2008

Sound: When I first so the video for "Your'e Gonna Lose Us" from their previous album "The New Fellas", I have to say that I couldn't connect, something about the raw and 'falsetto' guitar playing and use of heavy Yorkshire accent, which wasn't acquainted with my ear that put me off from listening to them. A few months later I discovered how great "Your'e gonna lose us" is. So when I watched the video for "Men's need" from their new album, I loved the upbeat rate of the song and gave the album a chance, I soon discovered that I like most of the tracks, weather theyr'e upbeat and happy, or slow and melancholic. They have a very clear indie-britpop sound that any fan of the genre can connect to. The only problem with the sound that I had is that the guitar is sometimes too squeeky to my ears, and can get quite 'annoying' at times, but I don't let my appreciation of the album fall all that much. Overall, as much as the great songs can blind you, the sound, or is it even the style, just seems to make this album sound like what would happen if an indie band would go to a big studio and record an album and decide that the quality is too good= great indie production. // 5

Lyrics: Well, the lyrics are very social, the fact that the two brothers sing with such an heavy accent can only show that they are very rooted, and it fits the music, the tune moves from a sometimes very fast and down right punky songs like 'Our Bovine Public' and 'Majors Titling Victory', to a yet subtle, slow and gentle melodies, for an example, 'Shoot The Poets' and 'I've Tried Everything' the lyrics can be criticizing, but unless it's actually explicit, as a lot of songs can mean different things, depends at how you look at it. But nonetheless, no matter about what they are written, in comparison to other bands who are out there, the lyrics can be witty, beautiful and wise. // 7

Overall Impression: So I've been following this group for a while. This release at the moment is my favourite, it's just seems like the production jumoed up a step and the insturments are built well and solid together, song structures can be a bit short at times but too the point and I can't even say that some songs are "digging" too much, starting from the biting and stinging 'Our Bovine Public' to the epic and philosophical 'Be Safe', which guests Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo. It's a fun album and one that you can always go back to when you can't seem to find the right band to suit you, musicwise, at the moment. The songs are beautiful and this album is totally worth getting. and now for the hundred dollar question; yes, I would buy it again, as it somehow seems to just hit my genre spot. // 7

Comments