Electric review by The Cult

• Released: Mar 31, 1987
The Cult: Electric

Electric's a big change in direction from the previous album, Love. The Cult turned from gothic/positive punk into hard rock within one album, yet they pull it off easily. The songs are basic, and aren't filled with awe-inspiring solos, but have a raw energy and an attitude that carries over from their previous albums. What sets this album apart from the rest is the raw sound that is very expressive, while some of their later hard rock albums feel a lot tamer and contained. Each song is memorable, and there's even a cover of Born To Be Wild which they very much make their own. This is probably the best album to listen to if you want to start listening to The Cult. The band actually spent a lot of time with Guns N' Roses, and this album influenced them (GnR actually supported The Cult at the beginning of their career, and Matt Sorum used to play for them).

The lyrics aren't very intricate or meaningful; they're very blunt and expressive with reflects the music well. E.g. in Lil' Devil: Come on little devil, be my little angel. It's pretty much what you expect from hard rock. I believe The Cult realised who they were as a band, and they don't try to make the lyrics deep or thoughtful, they're just very simple.

This is my favourite Cult album as it's very easy to get into, and has a lot of energy.

irtehstoopid
    I LOVE THIS ALBUM i was looking through some of my dads old cds a couple years ago and found this one and i was like oh sweet a cult cd? and then i really got into it and i love it now lol king contrary man, peace dog, and born to be wild are my favs
    WibbleWobble
    I don't like it as much as either Electric or Sonic Temple but it is as good a starting point as any to their output.