Sonic Temple review by The Cult

• Released: Apr 10, 1989
The Cult: Sonic Temple

As most of the reviews on Cult albums have had fans that are so dedicated to the music, they are willing to say anything great about the band and that makes me think when I read that review I am just gonna be reading something that some obsessed fan has written about the Cult and said nothing bad about them which is why I decided to write a review for the forth 'Cult' album Sonic Temple, giving it a fair review. I am not a Cult hater, infact the very opposite. I am very influenced by the cult and as a singer/musician I enjoy listening to Ian's vocals on the album, specially on the tracks; 'Fire Woman' & 'Sweet Soul Sister', Fire Woman being one of my favourite Cult songs. It was released in 1989 and was a defining album for them, allowing them to move away from thier metal/goth image and onto a rockier sound. Along with thier other albums and direction, the album is still experimental and still keeping that clean and orginal sound the Cult have had for so many years.

Again, Ian has such a good sense for writting the true emotions for these songs, If you listen to track 4 'Edie (Ciao Baby) the lyrics are so emotional and have a certain pull on you, as to all songs featured on the album there is style branded into each word that Ian sings. I can only imagine that when Ian applies the lyrics to the music he would go back and forth on parts which wouldn't feel right to him which makes him a successor for this album. As a whole, the lyrics are very out there and sometimes it is hard to see what the meaning is which does damage the credit a little but not enough to put you off completely. After all, we all like a bit of strange and unusual.

This album is gonna be hard to forget with such classics on it and it will also be remembered as thier slight turning point. As for the previous albums before it, the sound can only be noted as getting better with age. There are a few filler tracks on there biding time but it's more than made up by a magority of the songs being classic hits.

mrlee192
    brilliant album, brilliant band, deserves higher rating than whats given here.