4:13 Dream review by The Cure

• Released: Oct 28, 2008
The Cure: 4:13 Dream

So I have been holding off on this review for a while to let the album really sink in. After the first few listens I didn't get half the songs. I thought it was recycled b-sides that couldn't hold a candle to Bloodflowers. And I was a little off I admit. The people who say this album sucks are either not giving it a chance or are bitter Cure fans, or not a fan at all. Some of this is classic Cure and hard not to like. Fans usually like all and any Cure because it's The Cure. While I prefer the cold, dark "Faith" and "Disintegration" to a poppier lighter album like this, I still genuinely like it. So I like all the instruments, except drums, and I like all the songwriting. The production is probably the worst part about it. In a bunch of songs there is like this underwater effect going on and it actually works on 1 or 2 songs.

The lyrics are pretty good. Good enough. Nothing as good as most past Cure records, but better than a ton of junk out there any day. Robert Smith sounds as good as he did 15 or more years ago. The lyrics also go great with the music. Nothing really out of the ordinary Cure style.

4:13 Dream is destined to be more of an average Cure album, and that's good enough. It's definitely better than the last album and surprisingly up there with Bloodflowers. Best songs are 1, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11. I think the song flow is kinda off a little, but that's not too bad. If it were stolen I would collect the rest of the Cure albums and then get this again eventually.

Conformist
    Robert Smith pulled it out of the storage she'd for this album.
    If he's implying Robert Smith's a girl...
    swave75
    Not at all close to being my favorite album. I put this one down there with Japanese Whispers.