Greatest Hits review by The Cure

• Released: Nov 13, 2001
The Cure: Greatest Hits

Fronted by Robert Smith, The Cure defined their unique dark and eerie sound during the '80s and '90s. Their Greatist Hits album is a 23 year showcase of what has been a long and winding road for the goth-pop band. The album not only features some of their most loved and popular hits such as "Boys Don't Cry, and "Just Like Heaven", but also new acoustic translations of the songs on a second CD which work especially well with a lot of the songs to provide a breezy, upbeat and atmospheric feel that still remains true to the band's style. The album also features the brand new tracks "Wrong Number", and the song "Cut Here", a rising and tuneful addition that is reminiscent of the band's flashy and moodful sound.

Lyrics such as "Found myself alone above the raging sea, that stole the only girl I loved, and drowned her deep inside of me" is an illustration of the band's ability to drift from blissful moods, simplicity, surrealism, and even social commentary. Each of the songs on this album doesn't lack in poetic mood even though Robert Smith's writing featured lyrics that were less directly associated with love, and that rarely rhymed from his work in 1980-1982. In most of the songs featured on this album, Smith takes a soft vocal approach with the exception of songs such as "Wrong Number", which he sings in almost a punk style.

Although the band are typically known for their dark and gloomy sound, the band have yielded in some upbeat tracks such as "Why Can't I be You?" and "Lovecats", with it's glamorous cabaret stylings. Like most greatest hits albums released from artists, this album may appear as unneccessary to some, but even their new additional song "Cut Here" is well worth the listen to for any admirer or fan of The Cure. The album doesn't feature the delight of their song "10:15 Saturday Night", but if in some instance the album were to be lost or stolen from me, I'd most probably purchase it again (that is to say if nobody else I knew had it) The Cure's Greatest Hits album is really a testimony of their success and should not be a disappointment to any true fan of the band.

Drifting182
    This album collects most of The Cure's pop hits while only hinting at their darker side. As such, it's misrepresentative of the band's overall work but a good collection of their "happy" singles. I find myself popping it in quite a bit.