Join The Dots: B-sides & Rarities, 1978-2001 [Box-Set] review by The Cure

• Released: Jan 27, 2004
The Cure: Join The Dots: B-sides & Rarities, 1978-2001 [Box-Set]

Join The Dots is a retrospective collection of the Cures B Sides and other Rarities from 1979 to 2004, and as I'm sure you know if you're reading this review, the Cure sound changed so much over these years. Disc 1 features B sides for the bands debut, "Three Imaginary Boys" up to "The Head On The Doors" b-sides, and early in the CD it's almost embaressingly minimal, featuring just guitar, bass, drums and vocals, while a number of different instruments are integrated slightly later, such as flutes, keyboards and pianos. Disc 2 continues with the Cure's "classic" sound, i.e. advanced keyboard layers and minimalism guitar lines. Disc 3 has the beautiful tracks, "This Twilight Garden" and "Halo", both which could have survived on the Cures "Wish" album. By the Disc 4 though, we're reduced to the odd original track and almost drowned in Remixes. It's because of this that I'm taking a few points off, as no one wants to hear the same song remixed 3 times, do they?

Early on, Roberts lyrics are pretty, lets just say "not developed" per say. Around the end of the first disc, and for the rest of the discs, the lyrics are integrated perfectly with the music, as Smith tends to write the music first and then finds words that fit. Robert is a very enthusiastic singer, often resulting in many "Yeoow!" and other cat calls being screamed during songs, which again, only adds to the songs. His love for abstract lyrics in Disc 1, "Mr. Pink Eyes", "The Exploding Boy" and "Happy the Man", and from this moves onto Smiths frank romaticism that stays throughout the rest of the collection.

This is an absolute must have for hardcore fans, but casual listeners may be put off by the constant remixes that appear alongside the treasures. If you are willing to skip a number of tracks though, you'll find a beautiful collection of could-be album tracks and a number of genres that will peak your interest.

ghost_killaz
    The Cure ROCKS, saw them in concert at the curiosafest and it was soo great!!!Smith has a really cool voice!
    Caustic
    Lacks the consistancy of most Cure records, but it's a B-Sides collection, so that's expected. Definitely an established-fans-orientated release. I still enjoyed it though, the more Cure the merrier (mopier?).
    swave75
    I love this box set. Yes I am a die hard. I love all of disc one especially songs like "Happy the Man" and "Descent" and "Spintered in her Head". And disc three has "This Twilight Garden" and the wonderful "Halo".