Paris review by The Cure

• Released: Oct 26, 1993
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
The Cure: Paris

I am not a big fan of live albums. Except for the ones The Cure make. This one, called "Paris" was released at the same time as "Show" in 1993. "Paris" features more of The Cure's cult classics like "At Night" and "Charlotte Sometimes". Though it does contain "Lovesong" as well. This is a great live album and it really made me appreciate their live stuff. Sometimes, I actually prefer some of their live takes of their songs. And during the song "Play For Today" the crowd really gets into it. The version of "The Figurehead" is slower than the original but it makes it sound so much better.

The Cure's lyrics and music always flow together. Robert Smith's words are especially moving on songs like "At Night" while Perry Bamonte's keyboards hauntingly accompany him. The bass really drives the song "The Figurehead". "In Your House" has an great opening that I love to play myself. Robert Smith doesn't have a great singing voice but if he did The Cure would be a different band.

This is the first live album I bought that I just really loved. And I only bought it cause I was bored. The most impressive songs for me are "At Night", "Play For Today", and "The Figurehead". I guess the thing I hate about it would be the song "One Hundred Years" which is just boring to me. Not my favorite song of The Cure's at all. If it were lost I would have to buy it though I am sure it is out of print so look out eBay!