The Cure review by The Cure

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
The Cure: The Cure

The Cure's twelfth, self titled album was released in 2004. This saw a return to their early gothic-rock roots, with a much heavier, darker feel to their music and less of a pop influence than on many previous albums. Although many think the Cure have passed their prime, this album shows that they are still making powerful, catchy music. This is one of the Cure's best albums, although some songs such as 'Labyrinth' and 'Anniversary' are droning and lifeless.

In keeping with the album's general feel, the lyrics are generally gloomy and make many references to isolation, endings and new beginnings. This album reinforces Robert Smith's skill and diversity as a lyricist and singer, and contains some of the most powerful and haunting lyrics he has writen yet.

Although many think the Cure have passed their prime, this album shows that they are still making powerful, catchy music. This is one of the Cure's best albums, although some songs such as 'Labyrinth' and 'Anniversary' are droning and lifeless. In my opinion, the two best songs from this album are 'Before Three' and 'Us or Them', as they are a return to the original Cure sound. It is a must-have for any Cure fan.

XDGuitarist
    I don't know @Jau_Peacecraft, claiming that earlier Cure albums aren't any good? Have you taken the time to hear Disintegration? Wish? The Top? All of those are better than this one. I admit, there are a few good songs on here (like Alt. End, or The End of The World ) but I don't think it should be hailed as "the next great Cure album."