Ironiclast review by The Damned Things

• Released: Dec 14, 2010
The Damned Things: Ironiclast

Josh Newton & Kieth Buckley of Every Time I Die!? Scott Ian and Rob Caggiano of Anthrax!? Andy Hurley and John Trohman of Fall Out Boy!? All together in one really big "Super"group!? Well, why the hell not!!!! with 3 bands encompassing 3 main different genres (Hardcore/mathcore, Pop-rock, and thrash, obviously you'll know which band goes with genre.) you'd be mistaken for thinking this is would end up a mess, a clustered sound of all three bands, well that's a bit of yes, and a bit of no. "Ironiclast" is at heart a hard rock album. you can see the influences: the melodic catch-iness of FOB ("Bad Blood"), the heavy-technical moments of ETID ("Ironiclast"), and the powerful riffing of Anthrax. (We've Got A Situation Here") So yes, there are influences of all 3 bands, but that is not a bad thing as the album itself shows how a supergroup should be done. And how that supergroup should release its first album.

Kieth Buckley, we all know he can scream and roar, but here he shows off his seductive and gruff singing voice, an unexpected but pleasant surprise. Also, Kieth's love of word play is evident: in the title and in "The Blues Havin' Blues." With John and Rob on lead guitars, and Scott on rhythm and sometimes lead as well, you know there is gonna be some serious riffage and shredding on this album. And you'd be right! Andy produces some great drumming that fits in with the hard rock/groove-laden scenario of TDT.

The only question you ask yourself after Ironiclast ends is: "Whens the next album coming out!?" This is a great, rocking record that will stand out among the music scene, not only from band's unlikely members, but because no band seems to have that "old school" feel to their music, its usually; Deathcore this, Crunkcore that. If your a fan of either of these bands or all 3, definitely pick this up, its a great record and one that you shouldn't miss out on!!!! Get on it while its hot!

HH_Emo_666
    for having 3 guitarists, it sounds like a 2 guitar band. i hate when bands have 3 and it sounds like 2.
    ihaterap69
    ZachyV wrote: People shouldn't be looking at this album as "a collaboration of ETID, FOB, and Anthrax." It's a completely separate band and project, hence they mash up their own styles to create their own sound. Without comparing The Damned Things to the previous bands, I think they made a damn good album. Great riffs, catchy melodies and lyrics, and some good American rock sound. Even the mellower songs like Great Reckoning have a swagger I love
    This! I greatly enjoy this album.