One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back review by The Darkness

• Released: Nov 28, 2005
The Darkness: One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back

One Way Ticket To Hell is a great album. It sounds very different from the Darkness'first album, but they still keep their own style going. It's still guitar-driven, but only a few songs have those kick-ass riffs we got in Permission to Land. The title track one is of those songs, so is "Is It Just Me?" Most of the other songs have intros with acoustic guitar, piano, synths, or even strings, which is not a bad thing. The playing is still top notch, the solos aren't quite as abundant in this album as in Permission to Land, where you got a few in each song, but in OWTTH you get at least one per song. On the title track the solo is not on a guitar, but a sitar! and its pretty sweet. The ballads on this cd are less rock than the ones on the first, but they're still good. they have more piano and strings and the guitars are more subdued.

Well the lyrics are a little more consistent with those of the last album. That is, they are fun, creative, sometimes borderline ridiculous, but never bad or cheesy. They go along very well with the music being played. The vocals on this album are amazing! Justin Hawkins' falsetto is better than ever and the harmonies are strong, tight and confident. They are very reminiscent of Queen. I just can't say enough about how great the vocals are on this album, like on the tracks One Way Ticket, Knockers, Dinner Lady Arms, Hazel Eyes, and especially on English Country Garden.

Now, this is no Led Zeppelin II, but it is a great follow-up album. It could probably be compared to Cream's Disraeli Gears-not the sound or anything, but Cream's 1st album was mainly blues stuff and on Disraeli Gears, they spread out into different genres a little more. That's what the Darkness are doing. The best songs on this album are One Way Ticket, Is It Just Me?, Dinner Lady Arms, Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time, Hazel Eyes, and English Country Garden. Buy this album, if you lose it, buy it again.

Joel2
    One way ticket is the catchiest and most addictive album i've ever heard. I love it. In my opinion, along with permission.. one of the best albums of recent years!!!! The darkness rule!!!!
    Mahoru
    I prefer their first album, but this one is very nice too. Is it Just me?, Bald and Girlfriend are now masterpieces!! lol
    mistertomo123
    both albums brill, but one way ticket..... is better than permission to land, if only beacuse its not swearign as much