Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

This album is a ressurection of classic rock, solos and spandex included. The Darkness may not have anything totally original but the sound they have could not be carried off better. There is not much diversity in the sound, the songs all have the same theme but its doesn't wear out all the way through the album. The one song I definetly don't like is the slow ballad 'Love is only a Feeling'; this song, to me, doesn't have the same energy the Darkness emits and that added spark they give to everything else.

I think that the lyrics are mainly what makes these songs and gives them the uber cool cheesiness that everyone loves. My personal favourites are 'Friday Night' ('I used to sit next to you at school/ we indulged in all the extra-curricular activities/ we weren't particularly cool'), 'Stuck in a Rut' (which includes what I'm sure is a Yoda impression) and 'Givin' Up'. Justin carries off his falsettos perfectly and all the songs, whatever their subject are happy and put a smile on anyones face.

I think this is a very welcome break from the depressed 'I feel sorry for myself' mood of nu-metal that has plagued us all recently. The guitar on this record is perfect and the need-to-play-air-guitar solos teamed with the wit of the lyrics sells it for me. Although I don't like some of the slower tracks I'm still going to give the album full marks because all the other songs make up for it.