Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

Wow is this great production. It sounds like we time-warped back into the early 80s but with crisper production. Using a Page-like 'wall of guitars,' the Darkness come crashing through the speakers with badass intensity. These British rockers know what to do and how to do it well. Each song on the album has their distinct sound on it. In true 80s style, everything is exaggerated and it sounds great. The ballad 'Love is Only a Feeling' is done brilliantly, mixing acoustic and electric guitar sounds in a distinctly Zeppelin feeling.

The reason that The Darkness isn't just some campy retro band is the lyrics. Every song practically oozes with British wit and, something quite refreshing, the word 'fuck.' Some lines are ridiculous, such as this line from 'Growin' on Me.' "I'm being punished for all my offenses, I wanna touch you but I'm afraid of the consequences, I wanna banish you from whence you came." The Darkness pull it off, relishing in their campiness. The singer is phenomenal, having one of the best falsettos I have heard in a long time (maybe ever.) He's the lost link between Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant. My favorite line of the whole album is the chorus to track 2, which goes 'Get your hands off of my woman, motherfucker!' Every song should be rocked out to by a car full of people.

I think that this is the best album of the year, hands down. It has jams ('I believe in a thing called love', 'givin' it up'), ballads, and more jams. I have struggled to find something wrong with this album, and thus far I can't find anything. This band is the best thing to come out of England since pink lemonade. I can't wait to see the Darkness live.