Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

The sound on this CD is awesome. It sound like it could be something from the late 70's or early 80's, but it also adds some new sounds to the mix. The solos are absolutely amazing. Dan Hawkins is a very talented young man. He can rock like no body's business I'll tell ya what. And Justin's voice is extraordinary. I've never heard a guy sing in falsetto that well. It's refreshing to hear falsetto rather than screaming into the microphone.

The lyrics are so great. From the line in "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" (I wanna kiss you every minute every hour everyday) to the chorus of "Get Your Hands Off My Woman" (Get your hands off of my woman motherfucker) and even the tear-jerking lyrics to Holding My Own (Baby, everything has fallen into place/my life is so exciting now I've got my space/Like a splash of water on my face). Well, I cried when I heard the song. The lyrics are somewhat insightful, but not too serious. Another refreshing element of this album.

This album is all around refreshing. This is the type of band that can say something serious but do it in a not so serious kind of tone. The sound brings back the musical part of rock n roll. These people have some actual talent. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably cry and then go out right away or as soon as I could to get another one. I don't hate a single thing about his album. All of the songs are impressive, because no two sound the same, which is yet another refreshing element of the album. This album is definitely worth buying. If I had a band, I'd do a cover from this album on every one of my albums. I love this CD. Everyone should go out and buy a copy. Have you noticed a lot of good stuff comes from England? You can add The Darkness to that list.