Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

The sound is ok, but only ok. There is nothing really very innovative here. Its good rock guitar but we have heard it all before, and the bass is very inconspicuous with no stunning bass lines. It's very reminiscent of bands such as Pacifier (aka Shihad). There are a couple of good guitar solos but the rhythm is not so good. Really nothing special here, but then again they have done enough to support Justin Hawkins vocals.

The lyrics are what make the Darkness. Justin Hawkins over the top high pitched voice is their trademark. It is the only bit of their music that differs from all the other bands out there. There are some good lines like "Get your hands off my woman, mother f***er" but over all the lyrics are nothing special, but they are presented in such a style that it doesn't really matter what he is saying, because really who cares if it sounds good.

Overall the album is pretty good. It's good to see more bands out there that are popular and are making it big that arent just your pop/punk rock. The songs "Get You Hands Off My Woman" and "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" are the standouts on this album. Its good rock n roll and that really appeals to me, but in some parts the album really gets a bit to much pop/rock style which doesnt really appeal. If I happened to lose this album then I probably wouldn't go and buy it again but I would get it copied off a friend. Worth my money but I wouldn't go as far as labelling this a classic album.