Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

It's basically good old rock. Some songs, such as Love On The Rocks With No Ice have chord progressions that are more modern, but all in all its good old rock. None of the songs are particularily fast, but most are at a moderate tempo. There are a couple slow ones, but they're just as good as the others. It's been well produced, so it has a good sound to it. The truly great thing about it is that almost every song has at least one solo! It's kind of refreshing from some other artists these days...

The lyrics, IMO, are the weakpoint on this album. Most of them are silly, with little meaning to them. For instance, Black Shuck is about a dog from some old legend. As well, Growing On Me at first seems to be a simple love song, but the more I hear that song, the more I'm convinced it's about genital warts. It's kinda disgusting. However, Justin Hawkins has a great vocal range. Some people hate his falsetto and seem to thing it means he has small testicles, but I like it. It adds a lot more depth to the music.

This was a great album. The songs are all catchy, and there's not one song that I don't like. I wish more bands were like this these days! I can't think of one thing I hate about it except for the lyrics now and then, but I don't quite hate them. If it was stolen, I wouldn't buy it again because my friend has it and I can burn it off of him, but otherwise I most certainly would! Unless you are completely and unfairly biased against the Darkness, you won't regret purchasing it.