Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
The Darkness: Permission to Land

The first time I heard "I Believe in a thing called Love" on radio, I liked it until he started singing. Later, I checked out all songs from this album, and they sucked! Sure, I'm a fan of 70s-80s rock, but this is a friggin' joke! The riffs are not very original, sounds stolen. Yeah, there are solos... but there is no point in ruining the songs with those crummy opera vocals. If he used cool Dio or Iron Maiden-type vocals, they would have been my new favorite band, but NO! They blew it! The singer sounds really gay! I give this a 3 just because of the solos, but it still won't make me like them! The band lacks the proper attitude in suck hard rock they claim to play...

Lyrics? Gayest piece of **** I've ever heard or read online. "I Believe In a Thing Called Love" contains probably the worst possible, besides all Rap tracks. The video concept is queer too. The singer is like raping a big bear-like creature, and holding some sort of sausage. Some say its is a "Futuristic mic", but it's a sausage to me! The singer is the stongest reason why I hate the Darkness. Incorporates opera vocals in songs when a good singer could have sounded like James Hetfield or Dio or even Bon Scott/Brian Johnson, perhaps. Even nu-metal singer David Draiman (Disturbed) is way better than Hawkins (Darkness' singer).

Pure Stupidity! No band could be any worse than the Darkness except perhaps whiny punk groups or 100% of all rappers in the world. No song is as impressive as the REAL rock music I listen to. I hate this album... well, the Artist The Darkness, because that is their only album, because it has sucky lyrics that incite queerness and stupidity, bad vocals because it is almost Pure Opera, Crummy music videos because the features are of what I said on the Lyrics area of the review, and to add to that, the album cover sucks. Who in their right mind would be naked on an airplane landing track, and what is that supposed to be on top? Is that supposed to be a friggin' UFO or something? Looks more like a vacuum cleaner. Riffs aren't as original as most artists, none are catchy. I give this a 2 instead of a 1, just because it had solos, to say the least. If you're looking for real rock, stick to the 70s and 80s masters like Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard or someone like them. Or newer artists of the style who wouldn't use a style like the **** Darkness. Darkness is a failure. Simple as that.