Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

This straight out of the 70s and 80s with a giant kick in the ass to almost all of the other bands today, mostly emo-"punk" bands and rap groups (Outkast, Beastie Boys and Jurassic 5 are an exception.) When I hear Dan's or Justin's guitar, it is a religious experience. Go watch their exclusive performance of "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" on Launch (that's the music page on Yahoo! for those of you who don't know) for more proof on this. Frankie, the bass player puts a big bottom on the music, and doesn't just play whatever the guitar is playing, he comes up with his own stuff just as long as its in the same key. I just like that about bass players who are like that. Ed Graham is one of the best drummers in this day and age. Go and listen to any of the songs on the new album, and you will see how good of a drummer he is. This is very influenced by AC/DC and Queen, sorry those are the only two bands that I could think of.

"I've got no right to lay claim to her frame, its not my posession!" That should sum it up for you but I will right more. Justin is one of the best singers (if not the best) that we have right now. People don't like that he uses oprah singing techniques or that he hits high notes, but that's what I love about him. He's awesome! The lyrics have an amazing compliance with the music, and they are amazing. I also like how he says "God you're touching me!" He says me like he's saying "moo" and I really like that. He's an amazing singer.

This is definitely one of the best albums this year, right up with Jet "Get Born" and The Hives "Tyrannosaurus Hives." All of the songs are good songs, there are no filler songs that are just there for no reason and have no significance whatsoever. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, and if it were stolen, I'd buy it for real, because I just burned it from my friend, but yes, it is worth buying, it is just that I didn't have the money and was lazy. This is a great album The Darkness rock! I would like to say this about all of the people who hate The Darkness: you suck, every single last one of you. You guys are being stupid, calling The Darkness gay and they suck, and then turn around to listen to Good Charlotte and all of those emo-"punk" bands. This is history repeating itself: the good bands being criticized and ignored, but the crap bands being noticed and loved by all.