Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

I think it would be false to compare The Darkness to other groups such as AC/DC or Queen, or even to go so far as to label them as the embodiment of 70s' and 80s' rock. What they truely are is a statement of their own individuality. I'm impressed by that fact, and that fact alone. The common complaint of today's music consumer is that they don't sound like anybody else. I've read several reviews stating "they would sound much better if they sounded like Metallica or..." Being non-conformist, I feel their originality is something to be celebrated rather than critisized. But I suppose it all reverts back to the days of Zeppelin's reign. Although they were gods in their own profession, the periodical writers still wrote terrible reviews on albums and live performances. Yet they are still highly revered today as one of the greatest, if not the greatest rock group ever. I'm not saying the Darkness have a fixed destiny as chart toppers, but criticism doesn't seem to be slowing them down. They've got the chops, but pleasing the crowd is going to be the greatest battle in the long run. They may have home court advantage across the pond, but Americans demand the best in music entertainment, so I suggest they provide as many face melting venues as possible in the land of the free and the home of the Rawkers.

I enjoy the lyrics. They are a fresh taste of wonderfully blended lines directed towards lovers, and tales of monstronsity and calamity to draw the listener. I recommend "Black Shuck" for the simple reason that it has a great rock beat and riff, and Justin Dawkin's vocals seem to draw the listeners attention thoroughly through every detail of the song's plot. Dawkins' definitely cultivates a unique approach to vocals through use of high pitched falsetto wailing, that he surprisingly, has tremendous control over; I'm still wondering how he has such accurate vibrato. Oh, and to end any misconceptions about the lyrics of "Growing On Me," Justin isn't singing about a heroin addiction, (which has got to be one of the most uneducated guesses ever), but he is singing about a STD that's sexually transmitted disease to those of you who still don't get it.

Simply put, The Darkness' "Permission To Land" album is a breath of fresh air apart from the common sounds of todays music scene. Diversity is golden and those who think otherwise can forever be banished to listened to their aging collection of archaic rock albums.