Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

It's hard to compare anything the darkness plays or sings to anything that I've ever heard before. They really do have such a unique sound compared to anything else that's floating around out there now of days. They do somewhat resemble bands like Ac/Dc and Guns N' Roses in simply the sound, but they really are a "one and only" band. They do give a mix of both 70s and 80s music on their first album Permission To Land. I love all the guitar solos in almost every song by both Dan and Justin Hawkins (not Dawkins!, Hawkins!) Listening to their music, you have to just wait and see what awesome guitar solo is coming up next. I really like their overall sound.

Justin Hawkins brings really intristing lyrics to The Darkness's killer sound. I like his range and overall presence as a singer, but the lyrics are somewhat strong. I really think that if they toned down the language that they would be even more popular than they are right now, but I'm obviously not making the decisions. But I think that as a singer, he is very talented and he's a good songwriter too. Overall it's good, but the language still. I don't know. I really don't like the lyrics to "Given Up", they're all about a heroin addiction.

Overall The Darkness are an execptionally good band. If I somehow lost this album, I'd buy it again, no dought. The songs "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" and "Growing On Me" are obviously good, but I also like "Holding My Own" "Love is only a Feeling" and "Love On The Rocks With No Ice". Songs like "Get Your Hands Off My Women" and "Black Shuck" aren't as good. But like I said, the band is good and really unique, I like!