Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

What can I say about these guys except for "WOW"? The sound comes through as that classic brit metal we all love and emulate. The guitars are like a bone-crushing wave of metal, coming on over us like a symphony of great guitarists past. The riffs are not only perfect in creative genius, but they are so damn catchy. It's almost like being back in the seventies, with the grand solos and flashy styles. These guys are truly amazing. I can't stop playing their album. Their sound is perfect, let's hope they never change it.

The lyrics are just so different from most of the metal you hear today. They aren't as dark as most of the stuff you hear, but it's not exactly alternative or mainstream rock. I love the way Justin just puts these humorous and catchy little phrases into verse form. The song "Black Shuck" especially caught my ear, since it is based on the English folk-tale of a Black Dog attacking the Blygthmore Church in the English countryside. And who could forget their breakthrough American hit "I Believe In A Thing Called Love"? All the songs are great, and Justin is just the man to sing them. All though most may be put off by his falsetto, it is amazing to hear somebody sing like that since the likes of Freddie Mercury. I love this guy.

Overall, this album is the best thing to come out of Britain since Ozzy Osbourne. These guys know how to make metal fun again. They are light and jolly fellows who make catchy songs into classics. I don't care what anyone else says about them, they are the new legends of metal in my mind. Just watch.