Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

Wow is all I can say. It's simply breathtaking. Pryotechnic guitar solos are back. The riffs are absoutley amazing and Justin Hawkins uses about every technique in the book to a hugely high standing, especially blistering slurring and tapping sequences. This is also a melodic masterclass, and I can assure you, you will not be dissapointed.

Even some of the lyrics are not the best, some of the lyrics are really well thought out and crafted, especially in growing on me where the song is about genital warts and he fooled everyone into thinking it was a baout a demise of a relationship. In saying that, some of the lyrics tend to be a bit cheesy, most noticeably in friday night, but overall some very good lyrics. Vocal wise, he his in a different league. Most people I know share the opinion that Justin Hawkins ahs a very annoying voice, but I for 1 think he has a superb voice and a vocal range to die for. His voice is also unique making it sublime.

This album is a masterpiece. The songwriting skills are really displayed because even though the classical rock influence is evident, they have managed to keep the influence but make every song unique. Every single song on the album is amazing, there is not even one average track. If it was stolen or lost, I would have to buy this album again because its sublime. A must get!