Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

I bought the album on the strength of songs such as "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" and "Get You're Hands Off Of My Woman" and although I liked the songs, they didn't blow me away. Because of this, I wasn't expecting this album to be golden, I just expected it to be enjoyable. Ten tracks later and I came out loving the Darkness for tons of reasons. Nearly every track rocked and kept me entertained and the slower track (Love Is Only A Feeling) was brilliant, despite the shitty video for the single. Musically, the track that I'm most impressed with is "Love On The Rocks" which manages to combine a thumping melody with Hawkin's high pitched shriek. The solo are amazing (if a little over used. Not even Led Zep or GN'R have a solo in every song) but eventually become repetitive. Overall, I have no problems with the sound except for Poulain's weakish bass which isn't actively bad but also not actively good.

Some of the lyrics are decent, but it is blindingly obvious that Justin ain't a poet. Most of the songs are about love (A Believe, Love On The Rocks, Love Is Only A Feeling, I would have said Growing On Me as well but apparently that's about genatalia warts egh). The lyrics go well with the music. The right combinations make you want to sing along and make a fool out of you're self. How high can you get your voice? It's definitely Justin's voice that pushes this up to a 5. Plenty of people say his voice is annoying but only because they listen to music which comprises of a hairy man at the end of a mic growling about fuck all.

I started listening to this album promising not to compare this to Led Zep or any other great albums, and as long as you do this, you will enjoy every minute of this album (except that awful last track). This may not be the deepest album, in fact, this album isn't very deep at all, but what I like about it is that it was recorded on a shoestring budget and manages to sound better than most pro recordings. I want to give this album five, but I just can't do it. Most of the guys on this site are very harsh on them but my overall impression is that they are a lot of fun and I will definitely be looking forward to their second album.