Permission to Land review by The Darkness

• Released: Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness: Permission to Land

This is a stunning debut album from the band from the most easterly point in all of England. The Guitars are crushing and enormous and give the impression that this band have been going for many years. Justin and Dan Hawkins maybe stupid morons but they are talented musicians. Also the Drumming is powerhouse and very loud.

Justin Hawkins sings like he has just been elbowed in the private bits. One of the Highest voices I have ever heard. But the lyrics are generally not that good. "Black Shuck," "Love Is Only A Feeling" and "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" are all good lyrically but I have to say "Friday Night" is a little bit laclusture compared to most of the album. The lyrical peak is "Love On The Rocks With No Ice".

Overall, this is a classic debut, the best debut album since "Appitite For Destruction" by Guns N' Roses. The Best Tracks are "Black Shuck" (despite the fact it is a rip off of the mighty AC/DC), "Get Your Hands Off My Woman," "Love On The Rocks With No Ice," "Stuck In A Rut" and "I Believe In A Thing Called Love." These tracks are what British rock stands for, huge riffs, insane solos and choruses the size of Jupiter. But there are let downs. "Friday Night" is a frankly terrible song that does not deserve to be on an album of this quality.

Darkness Rock
    The Darkness are a kick *ss band that deserve to be put down in history i love all their songs and can play some myself
    Darkness Rock
    Yeah i agree with all of you the solos and the music and just the whole darkness style is friggin' awesome lol i love them
    Mahoru
    Rebeldarkness
    such an awesome band, they are 1 of my favorite new bands, so influencial to me!! ^_^ rock on darkness!!
    Jammey90
    One thing... Black Shuck and Get Your Hands Off Of My Woman are two of the best songs on the Album!
    alexnye
    PsychoWolfD this guys sad attempt at david mitchell-esque wit is just sad, but thanks for the comical review. you complete ****tard
    Modernmusich8er
    Mahoru wrote: The best rock band of the new times. I played them on a music festival and it was great lol
    I know they are great
    Clyons8908
    Great band, some of the lyrics are kinda cheesey, But a lot of great gutiar work