Outta Sight Outta Mind review by The Datsuns

• Released: Jul 6, 2004
The Datsuns: Outta Sight Outta Mind

This is one of the most underrated bands in modern day rock. If these guys were from America, England or just about any big contry they would be superstars. The brilliant but simple guitar riffs make it easy as a listener to love these guys. To many purists this would be enough, yet then there is Dolf's voice. His voice is so singular and so unique that the bands allure is doubled in this album. After the amazing introduction I received in their self-titled introduction, I was hanging on for this this one for a very long time. I was not disappointed. Very few times have I heard an album for the first time and loved it instantly - this was definitely one of those times. Blacken My Thumb bursts through as the introduction and in my opinion, is the best song on the album. Phil's riffs are beautiful in this song and they carry through the album straight to the end, while stopping off at musical gems such as 'Girl's Best Friend', 'What I've Lost' and 'Don't Come Knocking'. Put simply, their sound is impeccable.

The lyrics on Outta Sight Outta Mind are better than those on their debut album. Songs such as 'Hong Kong Fury' and 'Girl's Best Friend' portray far differing perspectives but all in all, the album's range from serious almost ballad like lyrics to humourous bouts, riddled all over the album.

I feel that this album is one of the greats. It rivals OK Computer by Radiohead, and Absolution by Muse. It has everything a great album needs. A great sound, catchy and meaningful lyrics and an artistic allure to it. If someone stole this album from me I would hunt them down, skin them alive and then steal it back from them. If this failed I would go and buy a new one and lock it up in a safe.