The Datsuns review by The Datsuns

• Released: Oct 29, 2002
The Datsuns: The Datsuns

The Datsuns have found a true rock n roll sound. It is like a jump back to the past. The guitars are fast and high pitched, with some awesome rock n roll riffs, like MF from Hell, Freeze Sucker. The solos by Christian Datsun are absolutely incredible and so intense. The only let down in the sound is that the bass is fairly unnoticable but that can be forgiven as Dolf makes up for it with his vocals. The sound is innovative, and while it has been influenced by 20th century rock n roll, it is like nothing I have ever heard before.

Dolf de Datsun sings about love and rock n roll. He has a true rock n roll voice which fits in perfectly with the style of guitar. He screams his heart out during the choruses and it adds to the excitement of the band. The lyrics are nothing special but there are some lines that stick in your head (Like a mother f***er from hell) and they are presented in such a way that what is being said really doesn't matter.

The debut album from the boys from New Zealand is absolutely incredible. It is the standout rock n roll album of recent times and is played with such pace and passion. They are recognised as one of the most exciting live acts in the world, and their album is just as good. The standout songs on the album are MF From Hell, with its catchy chorus and fast guitars, Sitting Pretty, Freeze Sucker and In Love. The style of music is much more exciting than other "blast from the past" bands out there such as The White Stripes (with whom they have toured with) and The Darkness. My only complaint about this album is that it is only 10 songs and 39 minutes, I would love to see them come out with a 60 minute+ album. Well worth my money and I eagerly anticipate their second album due sometime mid 2004.