Dodge And Burn review by The Dead Weather

• Released: Sep 25, 2015
The Dead Weather: Dodge And Burn

After The Kills frontwoman Alison Mossheart was made an emergency fill-in for vocal duties of The Raconteurs when Jack White had lost his voice, this variation would soon result in a new project, The Dead Weather, essentially being a permanent adaptation of The Raconteurs (bassist Jack Lawrence and touring guitarist Dean Fertita would join The Dead Weather by osmosis, leaving Raconteurs co-founder Brendan Benson cut out of the picture). With lead vocal and guitarist duties being filled, The Dead Weather better satisfied White's creative itch by letting him play the role of drummer - a role he's seldom played and wanted to expand upon - and with the newly-formed supergroup churning out two albums in two years, 2009's "Horehound" and 2010's "Sea of Cowards," the initial inspiration was palpably surging.

But per inevitable fate of supergroups, The Dead Weather would split up in light of duty calling for main projects: White tended to his solo career; Mossheart released another album with The Kills; Lawrence recorded bass for City And Colour's "The Hurry and the Harm"; and Fertita would help record Queens Of The Stone Age's anticipated returning album, "...Like Clockwork." Now, after five years since the end of their first stint together, The Dead Weather have reunited for their third album, "Dodge and Burn."

Despite the time away from each other, "Dodge and Burn" is, for the most part, The Dead Weather getting back to business in their expected style. Spanning from the noteworthy activity in "Let Me Through" and the memorable guitar/organ melodies in "Lose the Right," to the more drab riffs in "Rough Detective" and "I Feel Love (Every Million Miles)," riffs here are steady and down-to-earth, placing the album's energy between the soft-but-dynamic "Horehound" and the aggressive "Sea of Cowards." But where the riffs aren't astounding at face value, White's production tricks heard throughout the album succeed in captivating, whether it's the garbled guitar craziness in "Three Dollar Hat," the modulating oscillation effects in "Buzzkill(er)" and "Too Bad," or the right-output delay (which calls back to "Horehound") heard in the opening drums of "Lose the Right" and the guitar riff in "Cop and Go."

Another big change in "Dodge and Burn" is how much White's presence has expanded. Working hand in hand with the guitar/bass focus being toned down from "Sea of Cowards," White's drumming activity gets more room to shine - from the jazz-inspired breakbeats found in "Three Dollar Hat," "Rough Detective" and "Too Bad," to the increased amount of drum fills heard throughout the album, White takes his rhythm-centric support role and turns it into a scene-stealing one. White also opts for more vocal roles this time around, trading lines with Mossheart in "Rough Detective" and being the lead vocalist in "Three Dollar Hat," with his narrative rap rock vocals emulating the likes of Beastie Boys' "Paul Revere."

With several songs in "Horehound" portraying Mossheart as a fictitious roughneck renegade, the final line of "So Far From Your Weapon" ("He who hits the road's the one who lives") ends up being a retroactive prequel to the big theme of "Dodge and Burn," which is of the character's constant state of being on the run. Symbolism of the lonesome highway in "I Feel Love (Every Million Miles)" represents her cold feelings towards love and settling down, and symbolism of her speeding alone on the interstate in "Buzzkill(er)" articulates her self-centered, live-fast mentality superseding that of conventional, religious-fueled morality ("Oh, Lord, I will not follow you / I'm in the lead"). This mentality leads to her committing crimes while on the road - particularly, grand larceny (later alluded to in the line "I count my milk and honey / Lost track of all the money" in "Mile Markers"), which she lets an accomplice take the fall for (in "Three Dollar Hat"), and even though she's taken in for questioning by the police for this crime (in "Rough Detective"), she successfully dupes their suspicions, even making a mockery of the detective's initiative ("The apprentice is the master and the cop's the clown / You hear me laughing in the background").

But with the foreshadowing "Open Up" showing the main character's split feelings between denial and acknowledgement of how this life will shake out ("My hand is faster than the pen but the end has been written down / Still the ink will not dry, undermined by a hope that I'm wrong"), the main character's drive dwindles in light of regret and knowledge of the inevitable in "Too Bad" ("I know how the story ends / I know who dies, I know who lives / I know both passing ships / And how it feels to really miss"). Even still, the ending ballad of "Impossible Winner" is an undoubtedly positive swan song - with the main character detailing her lonesome but free spirit ("I'm a white noise song / Thorn upon a thorn / A wind that whips around / No part of any storm") as well as her resilient nature in the wake of defeat ("Drag my body through the sand / Drag my body down the road / Drag me off to the end / Turn around, here I am"), she still appreciates the free-wheeling path she took, taking solace in the idea that the journey is worth more than the destination (no matter how terminal).

With the timing of "Dodge and Burn" indicating that White wanted to get back in the saddle with The Dead Weather in the midst of his recent solo responsibilities, it's quite the compliment for The Dead Weather. But more than just being a desire for White to get back in the drummer's seat to show off, "Dodge and Burn" proves to be a well thought out album, with its elaborate narrative lyrics especially pushing the album above The Dead Weather's previous albums in terms of substantiality. Even if the fact still remains that a supergroup like this is only able to function on occasion, "Dodge and Burn" proves that those occasions are indeed worthwhile.

eclipse812
    Been waiting for this album to come out in full for a while. Have to give it a listen through. As much as I enjoy Dead Weather, I have always been more drawn to Raconteurs. It probably has something to do with Carolina Drama...
    elcapitan1800
    I'm with ya. I'll check this out and probably like it, but I'd kill for another Raconteurs album. Carolina Drama is fantastic, and the rock stuff is better than anything else White has done (IMO)
    mirza.harris
    The problem is that the best Guitarist and Singer in the group is behind the Drum Kit, I really like Jack's guitar work.
    RobFlynn_RSA
    Great Album. 3 Dollar Hat is so cool.
    TuongLuKim
    3 dollar hat literally sounds like a limp bizkit song both in the title and the music.
    immoralthang
    You have city taste Mr. Kim
    TuongLuKim
    Did I say if it was good or bad? Did I say if I like it or not? I don't know how you could assume my taste based on the fact I only pointed out what similarities I found with that song and another band.
    wardyh
    Well Limb Bizkit are fucking awful so if you're saying a song sounds like a Limb Bizkit song, that kind of implies that it's shit.
    EJSrocket
    @TuongLuKim go check out Royal Trux - Shockwave Rider. I've always gotten a massive Trux vibe from Dead Weather. Alison takes her cues from Jennifer Herrema hardcore.
    RobFlynn_RSA
    you are a fucking Moron to say the least. Yes it has a similar title as 3 dollar bill ya'll , but in what way is the music even comparable.
    Jamie_W
    Adore Horehound, some decent stuff on Sea of Cowards, first listen to this one and I'm not that impressed...
    Quetta
    Pretty solid album. I agree with posts above and others that I know...The Raconteurs is Jack White's best side project. I wish he would reunite with them. Until then, the Dead Weather put out some decent music to hold us over.
    christinaayers
    I listened to this record once and i just don't care for it. But i might need to give it a few more listens and see if i change my mind. But i love jack white but the dead weather to me is the worse band he is in. I love the raconteurs, i think that band is pure gold and i wish he would do more records with that band instead of the dead weather. The other 2 dead weather records are better then this one. I think my problem with the band is i just don't like alison mosshart voice and since she sings pretty much the whole time in all the records i just can't sit and listen to these records over and over again unlike i can with jacks other bands. This record is consistent with the other 2 dead weather records but it just lacks something to me unlike the other 2 Dead Weather records that i can't figure out after only listening to it once. I feel love (every million miles) to me is the strongest song on the record and i see why they put that out as the first single because the rest of the songs are just blah.
    pariskoloveas
    For me Alison has an amazing voice (both in the kills and sons of anarchy stuff), but I never really liked her voice in the Dead Weather because of the effects.. Their one album I really love is the B-sides in which no song has crazy effects in both guitar and voice.
    RAB11
    Dunno what it is about this album but for something that's been two years in the works it's a bit of a mess. I know that's because of conflicting schedules but the first two worked because they just got in the studio and knocked the songs out. I've listened to it twice and still haven't felt compelled to get to the end, but then Sea of Cowards took me a few listens to 'get' too.
    LockedAndClush
    I wasn't a huge fan of their debut, but I loved Sea of Cowards. Dodge & Burn is just an extremely solid record. It doesn't do anything unexpected or surprising, but it holds its own and rocks it to the bone. The whistle/panic break in "Rough Detective" is one of my favorite things I heard all year.