Horehound review by The Dead Weather

• Released: Jul 14, 2009
The Dead Weather: Horehound

After many listens, the sound of this album continues to shine in comparison to the rest of my CD collection. Jack White, Alison Mosshart, Dean Fertita, and Jack Lawrence prove to be true musical architects. However, this album has a very "live" sound to it, which may not be for everyone. For example, Horehound has very little to no studio overdubs added on, giving it a very "true" sound. Every missed note, feedbacking guitar, and mistake the band makes can be heard. Alison Mosshart who either wrote or co-wrote 8 out of the 11 tracks on this album particulary shines throughout. Her sultry vocals and punk backward really add to the album. Jack White, who plays drums in this band instead of guitar like in The Raconteurs and The White Stripes, presents interesting fills and good hooks, albeit for some he may appear to be a "repetitive" drummer. Dean Fertita, guitarist for Queens Of The Stone Age is a highly interesting minimalist guitarist. Even the simplest of riffs he plays on this album seem much harder than they actually are. And last but not least, Jack Lawrence heavy bass fills the album beautifully.

Alison Mosshart co-founder of the Kills, and Jack White III share vocal duties. Alison can be heard on every track except the instrumental, 3 birds. Jack is on just a few. For those who have listened to The Kills, you will like the lyrics on this album. The lyrics work perfectly with the music, even though many will be simplistic. Songs like "Bone House" and "No Hassle Night" especially remind me The Kills, which is not a bad thing. In comparison to Jack White's co-singer in The Raconteurs, Brendan Benson, Ms. Mosshart is a much better lyricist and singer than him.

My overall impression of this record is that of one of the best albums so far in 2009. The only bands I can trace Horehound back to would be the other bands the members of The Dead Weather are also in. This new group (supergroup?) combines my favorite member(s) of 3 of my curren favorite bands... My favorite songs off of Horehound are "60 Feet Tall", "Rocking Horse", "New Pony", and "No Hassle Night". I love how well the members of this band work together after only taking 2 weeks to make the album. The only thing I don't love is how "claustrophobic" the album can seem at times. It is Jack White's heaviest release thus far, and by the end of the album, it could leave you feeling exhausted. I bought both the vinyl and the CD for this album and I plan to buy a tri-color edition of the vinyl as well, and if I ever lost it or it got stolen, I would absolutely buy both again. In my opinion this is my album of the year, and I thin everyone who reads this should check it out. Highly Reccomended.

mike_anderson25
    "Are Friends Electric?" is a b-side to "Hang You From the Heavens," thus why it's not on the album. I personally absolutely adore this album, having listened to it many many times already. But I've gotta say, all it really does is make me really desperate for another Stripes album.
    tukall
    Terrific album. Kind of esoteric but that just makes it more interesting. But I, like many people, am really itching for a new White Stripes album from Jack. But in the meantime the Dead Weather are apparently gonna be releasing a new album soon.
    LPDC
    I thought it was a good solid album. But my high expectations of these musicians disappointed me slightly. But after a few listens, I'd give it a 8/10.
    Seizure
    I'm inclined to take the rating with a grain of salt because its author writes under the username "jackwhite333." Still a good summary though.
    JackWhite333
    Sorry Seizure, haha. Mosshart actually wrote more songs on this album than Jack anyway, even though I am slightly biased...
    tremblingwater
    I dont understand how you can say brendon isn't good. This release is brilliant, its different, you can't compare the two front people. Benson and white are a whole let better. We need a new stripes album, also some more rac's.
    Guardian1108
    i would give it a 7.5/10. in my opinion i personally like all the members of this band in their own respective bands better, but overall not that bad of a cd. i was hoping friends are electric would be on here, but what happened to that?
    soapalot
    I didn't enjoy this album at all. I wanted to like it but every track sounds the same. And as you said in the review, it does leave you feeling kind of exhausted at the end. I think this project would have benefited greatly if a bit more time was invested into it or it was left as an EP. Hang You Up From the Heavens is a killer track though.