Horehound Review

9.7
 8.9
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Horehound Reviewed by: JackWhite333, on july 17, 2009

Sound: After many listens, the sound of this album continues to shine in comparison to the rest of my CD collection. Jack White, Alison Mosshart, Dean Fertita, and Jack Lawrence prove to be true musical architects. However, this album has a very "live" sound to it, which may not be for everyone. For example, Horehound has very little to no studio overdubs added on, giving it a very "true" sound. Every missed note, feedbacking guitar, and mistake the band makes can be heard. Alison Mosshart who either wrote or co-wrote 8 out of the 11 tracks on this album particulary shines throughout. Her sultry vocals and punk backward really add to the album. Jack White, who plays drums in this band instead of guitar like in The Raconteurs and The White Stripes, presents interesting fills and good hooks, albeit for some he may appear to be a "repetitive" drummer. Dean Fertita, guitarist for Queens Of The Stone Age is a highly interesting minimalist guitarist. Even the simplest of riffs he plays on this album seem much harder than they actually are. And last but not least, Jack Lawrence heavy bass fills the album beautifully. // 10

Lyrics: Alison Mosshart co-founder of the Kills, and Jack White III share vocal duties. Alison can be heard on every track except the instrumental, 3 birds. Jack is on just a few. For those who have listened to The Kills, you will like the lyrics on this album. The lyrics work perfectly with the music, even though many will be simplistic. Songs like "Bone House" and "No Hassle Night" especially remind me The Kills, which is not a bad thing. In comparison to Jack White's co-singer in The Raconteurs, Brendan Benson, Ms. Mosshart is a much better lyricist and singer than him. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this record is that of one of the best albums so far in 2009. The only bands I can trace Horehound back to would be the other bands the members of The Dead Weather are also in. This new group (supergroup?) combines my favorite member(s) of 3 of my curren favorite bands... My favorite songs off of Horehound are "60 Feet Tall", "Rocking Horse", "New Pony", and "No Hassle Night". I love how well the members of this band work together after only taking 2 weeks to make the album. The only thing I don't love is how "claustrophobic" the album can seem at times. It is Jack White's heaviest release thus far, and by the end of the album, it could leave you feeling exhausted. I bought both the vinyl and the CD for this album and I plan to buy a tri-color edition of the vinyl as well, and if I ever lost it or it got stolen, I would absolutely buy both again. In my opinion this is my album of the year, and I thin everyone who reads this should check it out. Highly Reccomended. // 10

Comments