The Color Spectrum review by The Dear Hunter

• Released: Jun 14, 2011
The Dear Hunter: The Color Spectrum

The Dear Hunter, led by Casey Crescenzo, have decided to take a break from their 6 album concept (now known as the "Act" albums) to focus on something else: the color spectrum. With this release, the band has put out 9 EPs (black, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, white) whose music revolves around the emotions that the colors convey. For example, red is passionate, black is disorientating, yellow is cheerful, and so on. Each EP contains four songs, totaling up to a staggering 36 song release. Though this album is extremely extensive, there is no such "Filler", and every single song is flooded with emotion, creativity, and pure brilliance. All the EPs are genuine, and nothing comes off as cheesy or forced.

There is a wide range of lyrics and styles present throughout this release. All cater towards specific emotions of the colors. "Black" is very angry, while "White" is very uplifting. Every lyric is well crafted and works brilliantly with the music. Casey Crescenzo has proven to have a very powerful voice that is well suited towards any genre or musical style. Since this release ranges from hard rock to poppy Beach Boys influenced music, the styles are endless, yet, Casey sings with confidence and ingenuity that should be praised.

Though typical Dear Hunter releases usually range in style, this album goes above and beyond tremendously. Out of 36 songs, it is impossible to even narrow it down to 15 favorites, as more listens prove to change personal favorites. Though there are 2.5 hours of music, it is easy to sit down and listen to the album in it's entirety. This release will take a long time to get old, as there are so many songs for whatever the listener is feeling. As this album does not cater towards a certain brand of people, fans of brilliant, generous, and genuine music should all listen.

kamjam7
    So glad i read this review, i'm already stunned by every song i've heard! This casey dude just bumped himself to the top of my inspiration list (well 2nd to mikael akerfeldt, but still) Will be buying this shortly... and probably the act albums also
    pandacorn
    I bought the cd which only has a song or two from each color, so, I plan on getting the rest where I can. Casey Crescenzo can do no wrong. More people need to hear about the Dear Hunter.
    drewlassen
    I can guarantee that the kid who wrote this is a ginger!!! But he's a pretty cool kid, and the Dear Hunter is awesome. This is one of the greatest albums ever made.
    guitarmaniac17
    They're on sale on iTunes and Amazon individually, as well as just separate EPs. Also, if you go to their website, you can buy them all on vinyl. I'd recommend getting them all though. You won't be disappointed.
    jgsb2001
    Just got the vinyl set . . . epic. Downloaded the complete set as well. Anyone who loves good music should get this set.
    chrisdazzo
    I'll probably have to listen to this again, because I listened to it once through and thought most of it was filler/garbage. Loved Acts I-III, and I guess it's just a matter of time before I warm up to these songs. 10/10, if not close, for sure though.
    artome
    I love this album. Absolutely amazing! I hope there will be some bass tabs soon i can rock along with
    Taargus
    I have no turntable, but I don`t want to miss any of the songs. I want a physical copy, but the cd only has a few songs from each. I respect Casey Crescenzo too much to download it. I am too picky. I`ll get it eventually.
    ncWOLFsu
    This is by far my favorite band. I got the whole spectrum on the vinyl release (it comes with a digital download of all the songs, but I actually bought a turntable just to play these things. This is seriously awesome music that truly has something for everyone.
    sean2so
    In my opinion, Casey Crescenzo is the new Danny Elfman and an absolute genius. I don't have a clue what the guy was talking about mentioning fillers. Every song is original and matches the theme of each record. Every record has a theme and every song has a fan club. This latest effort will only fuel the fire to create more magic with the next 3 Dear Hunter installments. It takes alot of money to survive in this world. I don't mind spending anything on great art like Colors.
    HoldMeLoveMe
    Awesome review! You said it. I was a fan of The Dear Hunter prior to their release of ColorS, and I was anxious to hear what this collection of EP's as a whole would sound like. I bought it on the first day it was available from iTunes and was absolutely blown away. There really is a color for everybody, haha. Casey is a fantastic musician/singer/song-writer. And the fact that one band can manage 9 distinct sounds is incredible. The Dear Hunter deserves tenfold the attention they get. I'm really shocked they aren't more popular. However, I digress-- Spot-on review. To everyone else:If you've got the money, buy the whole thing. It's fantastic