Her Majesty Review

The Decemberists: Her Majesty
Released: Sep 9, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Pop, Indie Rock, Chamber Pop
What makes Her Majesty such a solid album is the consistent quality of the songs pitched between its high and low points.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Her Majesty Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 02, 2005

Sound: Very unique. Most of the songs on this album sound very diferent from each other. The opener "Shanty For The Arethusa" sounds very diferent from the rest of the album but is still a great song. "Billy Liar" is my personal favorite song on this album with its catchy melody that makes you want to sing along with the whole thing. Other standouts such as the accordian heavy "The Chimbley Sweep," "The Bachelor And The Bride" and "The Soldiering Life" are all incredible tunes. Everybody in this band is a great musician. // 10

Lyrics: Singer Colin Meloy has probably my favorite voice in music right now, up there with Wayne Coyne and Thom Yorke. He is also a lyrical genius. All of his lyrics are so unique from what I hear in music these days. Instead of whining about girls or being depressed like most bands right now, he writes stories about people created by him. Ready lyrics to some of these songs is like ready a novel rather than a song. He has a very large vocabulary and constantly uses words I've never even heard of. Truely incredible stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a step up from Castaways And Cutouts and is equally as good as Picaresque. Everything about this album is great. It all flows together very well and is easily one of the best albums I own. If this were lost or stolen, I would cry for days and days before going out to by a new copy of it. // 10

Comments