The Crane Wife review by The Decemberists

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
The Decemberists: The Crane Wife

The Crane Wife is The Decemberists' best album yet. The sound of their music has improved with their latest release. They continue with their folksy-sounding music, with less emphasized use of the accordion and organ as in their previous albums. The opening song of the album, "The Crane Wife, Pt. 3" begins with a great bass line, and the catchiness of the songs increase from there. Simple guitar chordings are the basis of "Yankee Bayonet" and "Oh Valencia!" The latter is their best song yet, being both extremely catchy and easy to sing along with.

The Decemberists continue with their interesting ability to make you care about the unusual characters that are the centerpiece of most of their songs. The storytelling element prevalent in their previous albums is still there, but slightly more subdued. They seem to have found the perfect blending of storytelling and catchiness. Their epic song "The Island" is their most lyrically deep song, with an entrancing story in three parts. "Come And See" beautifully sets the scene for the following songs. "The Landlord's Daughter" tells the story of a kidnapping and raping, and the haunting "You'll Not Feel The Drowning" is about the following murder. Other themes on the album include songs about war ("When The War Came", "Sons & Daughters") and love ("Yankee Bayonet", "Summersong").

Overall, The Decemberists continue with being one of the most unique bands out there. They easily top my chart in the folk/alternative genre. I'm normally a huge rock fan, but I can't resist the consistently great tunes that The Decemberists pump out. The greatest songs from the album include "Oh Valencia!" (fiendishly catchy), "The Crane Wife, Pt. 3", and "Yankee Bayonet". I love the depth and complexity of the lyrics set against the simple backdrop of the music. If it got lost or stolen, I'd immediately have to go out and get it again. The album is fantastic, and I would highly recommend it if you enjoy the genre at all.

stumaster18
    Great CD. Fantastic CD. I agree with your ratings and words. If you're the downloading type, I suggest "Crane Wife Part 1 and 2", "O Valencia", "Summersong", and..ah just the whole CD. downalod the whole thing. or buy it, better yet.
    walidb123
    It's a great album from them but my fav is probably Castaways and Cutouts. But yeh, BUY it you cheapos. no illegal downloading you plonkers.
    jpast
    I havent listened to the whole cd yet but I have heard O Valencia. I am a big fan of Castaways and Cutouts. I am a rock fan also but I find this band very enjoyable. I am def getting this even though its been out for a while
    jiminizzle
    I liked it... Crane wife 1, 2, and 3 were amazingly simple yet enticing, Summersong was fantastic, The island was very good along with valencia. I was dissapointed with a few of the other songs as far as melody goes (completly personal. It wasn't bad, just not so much my thing, especially compared to those listed) The highlights made it worth it for me. The stories in the rest were good but the music wasn't as tasteful for me.
    SixStrings
    yea if you like this album and havent heard any other i reconmend castaways and cutouts, and 5 songs to start with before owning everything this band has ever put out. they are exceptionally talented, and have an ear for great melody. all the songs from crane wife that have been mentionioned are great, but there are also songs on the album equal in greatness, like "shankhill butchers".