Grave Times review by The Defiled

The Defiled: Grave Times

I bought the album from Play.com as a 2 disk special edition with the whole band's signature. Very very cool and heavy album. The band themselves have a twisted style of Metal, they are "too Goth for the Metal kids and too Metal for the Goth kids". This is an awkward situation but if you just like good, hard, heavy metal then this London born band are what you need to listen to. They are a strong, talented band and are underrated. The album was featured as a free CD with Metal Hammer and is where I first heard them. The CD includes a "Rework" of their EP 1888, and the brand new debut CD, Grave Times.

The singer, Stitch D, is highly talented at both scream technique and melodic singing. Songs like track 4, Black Death, have a strong melodic singing style with a few screams that make the song very strong. He found a good balance with his styles. The song's lyrics are descriptive and clever as well as being emotive. They are quite dark lyrics and since the album came with a sleeve with all the lyrics, they all seem to follow a similar trend of song writing which runs through the core of the album.

The band are (clich alert) are in a genre of their own. You could try to compare to bands like Rammstein and Disturbed but they don't scrape the level of heaviness The Defiled have shown on this album. The use of the keyboards and guitars in harmony, the machine gun like double kicks and heavy bass with strong singing and lyrics make this album one of my favourites of any band. The start of the album is a good introduction and puts me in mind of the build up intro Apocalyptia did for Bullet For My Valentine's The Poison in the sense that it sets you in a frame of mind for the whole album. There isn't a bad song on it. I encourage you to search for them on Youtube, Call To Arms - Track 2 on the album. They are where metal should be going on a thunderwave of talent to give you an eargasm of metal. If this was lost or stolen, I'd be highly devastated since it is signed by Stitch D, A.V.D, Curse, J.C and Vincent Hyde and probably could never be replaced. Highly recommended album for any Metal fans and fans of good, solid British Metal.

PingusFriend
    The album is amazingly epic. I'm glad you didn't put A.V.D and his keyboard down, as every other reviewer has done. Nice review
    EpiExplorer
    Just sounds like a 90's groove metal band with even lower tuned guitars and synths, not that spectacular. Mnemic do it better, although Defiled has a somewhat better vocalist.
    Mindy2k
    A great album and glad to see the reviewer recognises their talent. Not sure why the commenter above compares them to groove metal. I would challenge that perhaps they have not listened to the album?
    NicWinterbottom
    Thanks for the positive feedback. AVD is a huge part of the live act so why would anyone put him down? They aren't groove metal either.