Grave Times review by The Defiled

The Defiled: Grave Times

The Defiled are one of the UK's best up and coming bands. They have a unique sound that sets them apart from their metalcore counterparts. This is done simply with their keyboardist, who adds nice little electronic and synth sounds that are subtle yet catchy. Now for someone like me, who was raised on a mixture of his dad's 80s electronic music and classic rock and metal bands like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Black Sabbath, this was perfect for me. The drums are very fast, but that is pretty much standard with most metal/metalcore records nowadays so bands have stopped scoring points for that in my books. The guitars and bass produce pulsing riffs that give the songs their overall tone and excellent sound. And the vocals contain a mixture between screaming, growling and clean singing. But another thing that sets these bands apart is the sound. My friends can play me one metalcore band after another and I would think it is all the same band, for me most of the screaming and growling sounds the same, and the cleans sound the same. However with The Defiled, you could play me Stitch D(Vocalist) screaming or singing and I could instantly tell you who it is.

The Lyrics on this album are typical to say the least. There is a few songs just about death and murder and all the other metalcore set pieces. But what really stands out are the contrasts between vocal styles. With Stitch D providing the cleans and the screams The A.V.D(Keyboardist)provides the growling. And the band use this to their advantage, for the most part. Let's just get this out of the way now. I don't like bands who growl and scream too much. Thats why when I listen to bands like Children of Bodom and Bullet For My Valentine, I listen in moderation. Now some of the songs on Grave Times, I feel, growl and scream for too long, without some clean vocals to break it up. However if you are into growling and screaming it will be right up your street.

I got the album after seeing The Defiled supporting Murderdolls in the UK. Now I have to admit, they exceeded expectations. When I hear about them I just thought they were going to be some typical metalcore screamy shouty noise with 2 guitarists, a singer, a drummer and a bassist. All dressed in average clothing with the singer growling and doing clean vocals that sounded pop punky. Oh how I was wrong. The matching outfits. The mental keyboardist. It all screams Rock 'n' Roll. Me and my friends I went to the gig with talk more about The Defiled's performance than the Murderdolls. I got the album signed from Play.com so yes I would buy another. Well I have 2 anyway, one to keep for collectors reasons.

EpiExplorer
    Bezza27
    EpiExplorer wrote: Mindy2k wrote: A great album and glad to see the reviewer recognises their talent. Not sure why the commenter above compares them to groove metal. I would challenge that perhaps they have not listened to the album? It has grooves. Sounds more like Deftones with added black veil brides, which sounds awful.
    that's weird. I saw them before black veil brides. Yet these were better