Already Free review by The Derek Trucks Band

• Released: Jan 13, 2009
The Derek Trucks Band: Already Free

Every so often there's a musical prodigy that comes along, and people sit back and wait to see if innate talent will translate into a lucrative career. For Derek Trucks, who at an early age was sitting in with such artists like Buddy Guy and The Allman Brothers Band, it does seem that the future will be kind. The guitarist has been involved with multiple collaborations over the past decade or so, but his latest CD release comes from his own personal project, the Derek Trucks Band. Already Free, the 6th studio album from the band, is another incredible effort on Trucks part, showing off his amazing ability at the slide more than ever. While the album might feel slightly like watered-down blues in parts, it still is an impressive piece of work. Within the liner notes of Already Free, Trucks emphasizes that the new record was all about family and friends. Indeed, he was surrounded by musicians with personal ties (including his wife Susan Tedeschi), and the CD was recorded in Trucks' own home studio. The chemistry within the group is undeniable, and top-notch musicians like vocalist Mike Mattison, guitarist/vocalist Doyle Bramhall II, and gritty guitarist/vocalist Tedeschi keep the record steady throughout. The Derek Trucks Band is at its best when it does allow a more historical blues sound to enter into the picture. Both the first and last songs provide the biggest taste of the Delta Blues, and not coincidently, they're also the best tracks on the album. The Bob Dylan cover "Down in the Flood" delivers not only that earthy quality, but it also integrates a more distorted, rock-oriented vibe in some sections, making it one of the more dynamic tracks. "Already Free" remains true to the Delta sound and easy-going tempo, never attempting to add in unnecessary synth or overproduction. Elsewhere, Tedeschi is easily the most engaging guest vocalist on the album on "Back Where I Started," and her Bonnie Raitt-like delivery makes a big impression. Trucks is the main attraction without a doubt, and Already Free is jam-packed with some juicy solos - played in traditional lead style and with a slide. The slide is where Trucks truly shines, and songs like "Down Don't Bother Me" and "Day Is Almost Gone" are standouts. The guitarist also performs with a (a stringed instrument often used in Indian music), and although it doesn't necessarily jump out like a sitar, it still adds interesting layers to the mix.

In terms of lyrics, the themes usually stick to what you might hear on a lot of other blues albums. But for people who are fans of that genre (and this reviewer is one of them), that shouldn't be a huge obstacle in listening to the record. A song like "Our Love" provides a nice glimpse of what you'll hear on the rest of the album with lyrics such as, "I know, know what it's like on my own; Things have been wrong but I don't want to be alone; Sometimes time ain't always on our side." These are classic themes, and even though they're not unique, they're quite suitable for Trucks' blend of music.

It's hard to not be impressed by everything that Trucks has accomplished since the age of 9. You will definitely hear some evidence of his days with The Allman Brothers Band, although Already Free definitely lacks the gritty feel heard on some early Allman songs. Even so, the musicianship is consistent throughout, and if you're someone who is always on the lookout for innovative slide players, Derek Trucks is your man.

damskippy
    Marrklarr wrote: damskippy wrote: I've been waiting for a serous blues album from this slide king, but up until now all I've found is his "world music" crap. It's about time. Have some respect for musical styles thousands of years older than our own. Blues/jazz/rock are direct descendants of this stuff.
    Just because something's been around a long time doesn't mean it's good. And "world music" hasn't been around for thousands of years.
    mdawg24
    Rock on, consistent good reviews, I'll have to check it out. And I wouldn't go so far as to call the world stuff crap, but I would have to agree with damskippy, I've been waiting for some straight blues from this guy. I can't get into the other stuff very well.
    radomu
    Love this album a lot. It's a great blues/southern rock album, anyone should take a try.
    messiah01
    I saw him on Sunday, and it was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. I just ordered the album yesterday.
    figerade
    Best album so far in 2009 in my books, and a great album altogether. Cannot find a weak song on it. Hope to get the Vinyl sometme
    Jk3y
    Its alright, I still don't believe he's using his gift to his full potential, I'm not saying he needs to make lots of money, but his success is really quite low considering what talent he has. The slide solos are awesome however Also how good he is live doesn't really show as much on the recordings...