Soul Serenade review by The Derek Trucks Band

• Released: Aug 5, 2003
The Derek Trucks Band: Soul Serenade

Derek Trucks has been hailed as one of the greatest slide guitarists since Duane Allman. The majority of the tracks on this album are instrumental and there is definitely quite a lot of soulful slide guitar to be heard. The Derek Trucks Band has an incredible mix of different sounds. There is an eclectic blend of blues, soul, jazz, rock, Indian music, Latin music, and other kinds of world music, drawing on the wide variety of differing musical influences of each member. The members of The Derek Trucks Band definitely share a passion for improvisation and musical exploration, and you can hear that with their music on this album.

As it was mentioned earlier, the vast majority of the tracks on this album are instrumental. There is, however, one track on here that isn't an instrumental. The special guest vocalist for the song Drown In My Own Tears is none other than Gregg Allman himself. Just like any other bluesy song, the lyrics are about personal woes. This one, in particular, is about a lost love. There couldn't have been anyone better to sing this song than Gregg Allman. The vocals are very smooth and soulful and complement the music perfectly.

Overall, I am extremely pleased and very impressed with the selection of music on this album. The quality of music is outstanding and very clear. I really have no complaints at all about this album. A few personal favorites are the tracks Bock To Bock and Drown In My Own Tears. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who is a fan of Derek Trucks' music. It is a must-have if you are a fan of his music. Soul Serenade is an important part of my CD collection and I couldn't see myself without this music. I would without a doubt by this album again if something were to happen to my copy.

Savage Animal
    such a good album. can't believe how little attention this gets compared to most of the music on this site
    Gäbe
    I saw the band opening for santana last april and the man can slide as hell. On a sidenote they sounded great live, I've never heard a record of them but live they lifted the crowd above with their sound.
    dontstopblevin
    derek trucks=slide guitar god i forget what it's called, but he makes the guitar sound like a woman singing...you can tell when he plays with susan tedeske (can't spell)
    rockinlespaul
    I've seen him with his own band headlining and as an opener for Santana. I also have seen him with the Allman Brothers. I like him best when the DTB is headlining. Great musician, I love when he plays on a resonator.
    sambargun
    Clapton called him 'the greatest guitarist in the world', and therefore there must be something to him. I have to get this album, some of his earlier work sounds really cool. Can somebody tell me all the albums he has released so far???Please???
    aig91
    sambargun wrote: Can somebody tell me all the albums he has released so far???Please???
    He has released 6 albums so far... 1. Derek Trucks 2. Out Of The Madness 3. Joyful Noise 4. Soul Serenade 5. Live At Georgia Theatre 6. Songlines
    rephlica
    soul serenade's very good! and so is the Songlines album! bock to bock is hellgood! Songs are "easy listening" songs but are a lot harder to play. Diverse, mature, unpredictable guitar. Great guitar player! Recommended!!!! lol
    rhia2
    Great album. I saw Derek Trucks in concert in Vermont. I was speechless the whole time. His music is mesmerizing.