Soul Serenade Review

The Derek Trucks Band: Soul Serenade
Release Date: August 5, 2003
Genres: Blues, Contemporary Jazz, Rock, World Fusion
Label: Columbia Records
Soul Serenade may also be considered Trucks' third album, as it was entirely recorded before Joyful Noise, but was held up in legalities, and therefore released later.
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Soul Serenade Reviewed by: aig91, on september 22, 2008

Sound: Derek Trucks has been hailed as one of the greatest slide guitarists since Duane Allman. The majority of the tracks on this album are instrumental and there is definitely quite a lot of soulful slide guitar to be heard. The Derek Trucks Band has an incredible mix of different sounds. There is an eclectic blend of blues, soul, jazz, rock, Indian music, Latin music, and other kinds of world music, drawing on the wide variety of differing musical influences of each member. The members of The Derek Trucks Band definitely share a passion for improvisation and musical exploration, and you can hear that with their music on this album. // 10

Lyrics: As it was mentioned earlier, the vast majority of the tracks on this album are instrumental. There is, however, one track on here that isn't an instrumental. The special guest vocalist for the song Drown In My Own Tears is none other than Gregg Allman himself. Just like any other bluesy song, the lyrics are about personal woes. This one, in particular, is about a lost love. There couldn't have been anyone better to sing this song than Gregg Allman. The vocals are very smooth and soulful and complement the music perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I am extremely pleased and very impressed with the selection of music on this album. The quality of music is outstanding and very clear. I really have no complaints at all about this album. A few personal favorites are the tracks Bock To Bock and Drown In My Own Tears. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who is a fan of Derek Trucks' music. It is a must-have if you are a fan of his music. Soul Serenade is an important part of my CD collection and I couldn't see myself without this music. I would without a doubt by this album again if something were to happen to my copy. // 10

Comments