Tied & True review by The Detroit Cobras

• Released: Apr 24, 2007
The Detroit Cobras: Tied & True

The Detroit Cobras are an American rock/soul garage band. Although they are rather good, they have not yet made it over in the UK or very big in the US. Their musical styles vary from rock, to blues, to old rock n roll, to soul. This gives them a unique sound, making them stand out from the other bands in the current music scene. This band is not a pop-influenced or glittery girl band; in fact they are miles from it. Frontwomen Rachel Nagy sings soothing rock n' roll lines, while female (yes, female) guitarist Mary Ramirez bangs out catchy riffs. They were the bad girls in school smoking by the dance exit doors!

The Detroit Cobras lyrical style is pretty far from ordinary; they include lines that don't particulary mean much, they just make a nice sound! There's no way to quite explain this, you're going to just have to listen to them to understand what I mean. Every song on this album is based on love. There are songs about wanting a certain someone, songs about mistreating your man, and songs about being mistreated by your lover. Each and every lyric can be compared to any persons relationship problems, and can be used as a perfect msn saying (if you're a teenager into that kind of scene) or as powerful advice. 'Only To Other People' is definately a song that can be easily related to. An exception to this is 'Leave My Kitten Alone' which is a cover I believe, but is still very love related.

Overall I am very impressed by the guitar lines coming from the songs. They are very 'rock 'n' roll', which is incredibly different compared to the music around now and an exciting change. One song that really stands out to me is the first track, 'As Long As I Have You'. The heart and soul put into it, mainly through the singing and lyrics, really gets to you. Another song that can do this to you is '(I Wanna Know) What's Going On', or even 'Nothing But A Heartache Everyday'. I just love the impressive guitar riffs and lyrics entering my ears as I listen to the album. Compared to The Detroit Cobras' earlier works, Tied & True seems quite similiar. But each song has got such a soothing yet powerful sound it's irresistable. They're a band that definately need more listening to, it's a crime to miss them out!