Dead Throne review by The Devil Wears Prada

• Released: Sep 13, 2011
The Devil Wears Prada: Dead Throne

Within the past five years The Devil Wears Prada have consistently proven to be one of the biggest and most unique bands in modern metalcore. They have released 3 albums and one EP throughout their carreer and have headlined multiple tours including the Vans Warped Tour. They're most recent LP With Roots Above and Branches Below is considered by many to be a staple of modern metalcore. That being said all three of their LP's have had generally the same sound and dynamics to them; high pitched growl, low pitched growl, breakdown, clean chorus, repeat. In my opinion With Roots was the last time they could use that same formula and get away with it without too much critique from metal buff's like myself who are fed up with the same thing over and over again. Honestly I didn't have too much hope that DWP would be able to stay alive in the metal world until I heard Zombie EP which changed everything. The sheer aggresion and power that is apparent in Zombie EP is just what the band needed to stay afloat. With all of that background knowledge now ground into your fat metalhead skull I can now say that Dead Throne would either make or break the respect I had for this band and I could not wait to hear what they had done. Once I started up the first track I was immediately immersed into a world of fury and anger that would remain apparent throughout the entire record. The beautiful guitar work and the spine-tingling vocals make for the most powerful and alltogether heavy sound that DWP has ever created. Each song is just the right length to keep you tuned in without getting bored or zoning out and they're all different enough from eachother so that it doesn't feel as though you're listening to the same song over and over again, which is a problem DWP have encountered in the past.The slow and relatively eerie tracks Chicago and Kansas make for a perfect intermission between songs so as to give the listener a time to recooperate from the bludgeoning heaviness on each half of the album. Each track fits in perfectly with the rest creating a true masterpiece of an album and most certainly DWP's best of all time.

The lyrics on Dead Throne are not much different than the lyrics on their other albums but they definetely fit in better on Dead Throne than they ever have. This is mainly because this is the first DWP LP to not include irritating and altogether immature song titles that just make it so that the seemingly serious sounding songs cannot be taken seriously. This shows a sign of maturity for DWP which was something that they definetely needed to show. Now, the lyrics about god, war, love, and life in general can be understood better than they have been on past records. Also Mike Hranica's layered vocals on Dead Throne add to each song to make it heavier and more original sounding so that the songs on Dead Throne differentiate from past DWP songs.

Overall this is the best DWP album of all time (although zombie ep is close to being #1) and most certainly the heaviest. The entire produciton was exectuted perfectly from the crisp sounding vocals, to the album titles that are finally meaningful and relevant to the songs themselves. Not only is this the best DWP album of all time, in my opinion it's one of the best albums of 2011. Although I love every track on this album the few standouts are My Questions, Untitaled, and Constance. This album is a staple in any metalhead's library, long time DWP fans, and new fans. Please support these guys and buy this masterpiece album and be sure to catch them on the Dead Throne Tour in the fall of 2011 with supporting acts Enter Shikari, Whitechapel, and For Today.

BOYERxBREAKDOWN
    Sam Rulez D00d wrote: badguitarist13 wrote: Sam Rulez D00d wrote: laklok wrote: ninjagayden777 wrote: pwninator123 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: HxC Cody wrote: The devil wears prada is a great christian band, If you were to read there lyrics you would see that they glorify god and yet still stay heavy!! Where are my cyanide pills.. Oh no, someone's a Christian and have made it obvious, better go kill myself. Fucking bigot. +1 +1 -100000 +100000 fixed hahaha thanks
    IT'S OVER 9000!!!
    tyrogue
    synestershadows wrote: Why do people like this band?
    because not everyone thinks like you and has the same musical opinion as you. Btw, I freaking love TDWP and this album is pretty awesome.
    SGofawesome
    indyrock91
    Ooh, internet cool guy doesn't like Christians (rolls eyes) Anyway. Sweet album. Definitely their best yet
    pwninator123
    larrytheguitar
    ninjagayden777
    -100000
    stonedhippos
    does it really matter? if it has a good sound, f*ck the lyrics or their meaning if you don't want to know.
    Loki_37
    Why are all the reviews 8 pages long? I liked Jay's, but after that it just gets absurd to have to read 4 more. I'll have to check this out. Some day
    HxC Cody
    laklok
    badguitarist13
    +100000 fixed
    Ibeanez
    Did you find them yet? Don't tease us.
    Snowman388
    As much as I like Mike (lol), he is not a special talent.
    EpiExplorer
    Where are my cyanide pills..
    tancanada
    I love this EpiExplorer guy. The one time he doesn't make an ***** comment about the band the review was about, he makes an ***** comment on a commenter. Brilliant!
    LordEarthworm
    i definitely sympathize with Jay on the topic of Mike's vocals. first couple albums were decent, had some good highs in the there, then came With Roots Above And Branches Below and something changed for the worse imo.
    Rockinguitar
    eetfuk58 wrote: HxC Cody wrote: The devil wears prada is a great christian band, If you were to read there lyrics you would see that they glorify god and yet still stay heavy!! Translation: This is the only metal band my mother lets me listen to because they are a christian band. ^So technically this could be the worst metal ever (pretty much is) and all you wouldnt know otherwise.
    LOL Oh man, you win man. Can't top that. (And that's comin from somebody who likes TDWP!)
    tubbsy5
    yea jay browns review is the only one up there thats not completely biased of the band..
    TheAmenCorner89
    I saw them live about 2/3 years ago and honestly thought they were the most boring band I'd ever seen, and I've seen over 500 bands live. However, from Jay Brown's review here they seem to have picked up their game, so I'd be willing to give them another shot.
    SGofawesome
    Snowman388 wrote: SGofawesome wrote: Liked Jay's review for the most part. Except that he calls Hranica one of the worst screamers in the scene. He doesn't know a thing about screaming if he can't realize that no one on earth can do what Mike does. Great album, already reviewed it. As much as I like Mike (lol), he is not a special talent.
    Idk man, he can do amazing things. But again, we all have opinions eh?
    iVendetta
    I don't think Dead Throne is necessarily an overhaul of their sound, and refreshing and new, I mean, after listening intently, Dead Throne has the same melodic feel to it as Plagues, and the power of With Roots Above and Branches Below. Its just much more aggressive, and the whole band has seriously grown musically into one of the best bands in the genre.
    Metallidethium
    Ibeanez : EpiExplorer wrote: HxC Cody wrote: The devil wears prada is a great christian band, If you were to read there lyrics you would see that they glorify god and yet still stay heavy!! Where are my cyanide pills.. Did you find them yet? Don't tease us.
    Yeah but when one troll exits the world, 3 more come to take his place..
    Jon777
    I listened to their two previous records when I was really into metalcore, but they were still nothing special. Is this worth checking out?
    haha oops^
    Bananafish003
    Not gonna bitch about people being religious and such, but I feel like sharing a religion with the band qualifies as bias.
    hereticfive
    eetfuk58
    apostate
    why choose such a biased human to write this review? I can agree with some things he is saying. (mikes highs) but to discredit mikes voice or lyrics is judging art and preference. and personally I think Mikes voice is much more tasteful and well rounded when his balls are not in a vice; throwing in the yells is a common build up and great transition. His punchy lows are so vulnerable and pissed. they have much more maturity and color than the controlled clean crunchy lows you may find with other bands. reminds me of Coreys voice on the Redeemer ep. My biggest turn off was start and finish. admittedly they changed it up this time. not liking it. I would rather them finish with a bitter child beating punch to the head. (survivor
    CR!$+@
    Oh my gosh, I love this album its amazing, i cannot wait to go see them live!
    Alpha_Wolf
    Ibeanez wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: HxC Cody wrote: The devil wears prada is a great christian band, If you were to read there lyrics you would see that they glorify god and yet still stay heavy!! Where are my cyanide pills.. Did you find them yet? Don't tease us.
    LOL. Anyway, I'll probably be picking this album up sometime today. I really like what I've heard from their FB so far.
    Biginjones07
    eetfuk58 wrote: HxC Cody wrote: The devil wears prada is a great christian band, If you were to read there lyrics you would see that they glorify god and yet still stay heavy!! Translation: This is the only metal band my mother lets me listen to because they are a christian band. ^So technically this could be the worst metal ever (pretty much is) and all you wouldn't know otherwise.
    LMAO!
    BwareDWare94
    I'm going to go ahead and point their improvement in the direction of following Dark Tranquillity. I saw one of the shows, and Dark Tranquillity made Prada and Killswitch look silly for even trying to put on a show. Maybe some exposure to a far superior band did something good for them.
    Sam Rulez D00d
    the beginning of the UG review is the complete opposite of what i think of TDWP. Still Fly was the only song i DIDN'T like and Zombie EP is way less creative than Plagues and is my least favorite album by them.
    Horizons18
    A well written, objective review, that makes me want to at least check out the mentioned tracks from this album and give it a chance.
    dethklok2393
    Just got it. Amazing album from an amazing band. They have really come a long way over the years. Cant wait to see them on tour in the coming months
    Biginjones07
    +100000
    xXChimairaXx
    Honestly who cares if they're Christian, its about the music. You get what you want from the lyrics as well. Troll Hunters unite! We won't sleep until we search under every bridge and basement...
    hahaha thanks
    DistantUtopia
    I like the change in the sound they're going through, but I totally agree with Jay Brown, Mike's vocals are seriously suffering and bringing down the overall quality of the album. It past albums it was bearable, and granted he has made progress with the range of his techniques (particularly the lows, which turns out he's pretty good at...), but I totally agree that he sounds like he's totally blown his voice out of commission for good. They need a new vocalist with good highs.
    dezmoines333
    bought the album after college class, and im currently hearing it all, I LOVE IT!!! its a good masterpiece, its flawless...
    hn.dlvalentez
    it was aiight from the beginning with their plagues and roots. but after Zombie came out, i was ****ing in love. good stuff. notice how i also lowercased their previous shit~