Dead Throne review by The Devil Wears Prada

• Released: Sep 13, 2011
The Devil Wears Prada: Dead Throne

This album to me is a major comeback album to The Devil Wears Prada after a few "Ok" albums such as "With Roots Above Branches Below" and the "Zombie" EP. This is the bands' fifth release and to me it brings me back to the "Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord" and "Plagues" days where the their music was to me more heavy, melodic and technical then their newer stuff which to me is over saturated in synth and production. This album is much heavier than what I expected it to be with much more secondary vocals and tight riff's.

The Devil Wears Prada's lyrics had always intrigued me, if you read them they are the kind of lyrics that just make you sit and think but you can get a good idea about the general topics of their songs based off their religious influence. I was not entirely impressed with lead singer Mike Hranica's voice on this album it seems to me that it is dying out which is not uncommon with years of the metalcore growls and screams. But with that said I was greatly impressed with the rest of the bands vocals in songs like mammoth which brings gang vocals, and in the beginning has one of those Melodic hardcore punk bridges which really surprised me coming from these guys.

Overall I think this album is a pretty good one, I would not go out and buy a hard copy but it was worth the digital download. I definitely enjoyed the new factors of it like the more melodic stuff and going back to its roots of their older stuff, definitely a step up from their last full length though.