Dead Throne review by The Devil Wears Prada

• Released: Sep 13, 2011
The Devil Wears Prada: Dead Throne

The Devil Wears Prada's sound has evolved so much over these past years, its at the point where all I can say is; what's left?! There is literally nowhere for them to take their sound at this point. I was raised on Prada's music, and have been waiting for an album similiar to "Plagues", and if that's what you were looking for aswell, look away. I'll do some songs that I felt I enjoyed. The album kicks off with a rising drum/Keys intro, which progresses into the song "Dead Throne" and also sports the beginning of Prada's newfound Pitched vocals. Overall, throw some lyrics about zombies on this song, and it could've been on the EP. "Untidaled": for me was an unimpressive track, it seems like Prada's been progressing off of Chris's guitar writing, and I would've preferred to hear more high end to his tone. The breakdowns, and riffing seems to drone on. If your going to be Guitar orientated, don't be boring about it, I'm not saying shred like a mofo, just be more elaborate. The song does pick up around the "chorusy" part. "Mammoth": I definitely found "Mammoth" to be enjoyable, but mostly for the harmony in the clean vocal/screaming parts, but a big downfall? Was when I realized that Prada started tuning to Drop A, more on that later. "My Question" This song was a pretty decent one for me, although it was the plagues I was waitng for, it did sport a very "WRAABB" feel, which isn't overly bad for me. "Chicago": this song was probably my favorite, because of the lyrical intensity, and the vocal tracking. Its definitely a "Defeater and Prada had a baby" kinda song. Which is kind of a bad thing, again more on that later. That's all for sound, none of the other songs, except maybe "Constance" caught my ear, but that's just because AILD is in the song derp.

Here's where TDWP can get some marks for this album. Mike Hranica has always been a hard hitting lyricist, and this album is no exception. There are also songs that branch off of the main theme of idolatry. So its good to read Mikes thoughts on a new topic. Songs like "My Question" and "Mammoth" really give off some emotion in the writing. And of course "Chicago" is quite elaborate and expressive aswell. So what's wrong with "Dead Throne"'s vocals? Well lets delve deep here. With a recent rise in pitched vocals in Metalcore, I really feel that Prada felt the chokehold and caved in. I watched some of the studio videos for recording the album, and at one point "A Wound And Scar" by Defeater was playing in the background of the video. And all of a sudden TDWP is incorporating Pitched vocals into their music similar to defeater. That decision was obviously heavily influenced by what "the kids these days" are listening to. Tsk tsk. But still, I'll be generous with a nice 8.

My biggest problem with this album, is the drop A tuning. 3 TIMES PRADA, that's how many times you've changed your tuning, and the worst was in "WRAABB" where they used drop D and B, its like... Make up your mind at least. But now, for them to tune EVEN lower just to appeal to the "metal" guys, is kinda silly. We get it... The guy from AILD is on your album, you guys are metal. The only positive things I can say about the impression of this album is, some of the riffs in the odd song are complimentary towards the vocalists, and enjoyable, lyrically Jeremy, and Mike did what they always did with some added pitch vocals to keep the scenie babies interested. I guess you can't completely blame them. If I could change one thing about this album? I would just loosen everything up, the guitar is so chug chug chug, and droning, the drums are boring, compared to how they used to be on previous albums (not just plagues). And someone tell me why they have a keyboardist? Because it was cool 5 years ago? More of a rant than a review. Sorry Prada and fans but this album just didn't sit right with me.

Nor'Easterbass
    A lot of positive reactions to this album on here, it seems. I was psyched for it to come out and I guess it's been a little while since I've gave it a good listen, but I wasn't all that impressed with this one. Not as much as the Zombie EP anyways.
    Camron62\m/
    hereticfive wrote: laklok wrote: ninjagayden777 wrote: pwninator123 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: HxC Cody wrote: The devil wears prada is a great christian band, If you were to read there lyrics you would see that they glorify god and yet still stay heavy!! Where are my cyanide pills.. Oh no, someone's a Christian and have made it obvious, better go kill myself. Fucking bigot. +1 +1 +1