Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord review by The Devil Wears Prada

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
The Devil Wears Prada: Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord

The first time I heard Mike Hranica's vocals, my eyebrows rose. I was thinking "That is the most interesting scream I've ever heard". It's not bad-no, it's great, but you'll have to hear it for yourself. The vocals and guitars are nicely in sync, the bass guitar a little hard to distinguish, the drums are awesome, especially the double bass. There are some singing parts, which is nice, too. They also have a guy on sound effects, which really adds to the album in a way no other band could really pull off.

They are Christian, so some songs are rather religious, but then again some aren't. What I like about their songs is that instead of verses and choruses, they have it more in poetry form, which is a nice transition and contrast to other metal bands, plus if you want to memorize a song, it is much easier to memorize it when it's in poetry form. A lot of the song meanings are symbolic, and I'm really, really bad at figuring out song meanings, especially when they're in symbolic form, so I really can't help you in that area. Sorry.

This band would be for fans of Norma Jean, Underoath, and The Chariot, because TDWP is pretty much the same style, though they sound slightly different. Here are my opinions on the songs. 01. The Ascent - seeing as this is an intro and it has no instruments or vocals, I really can't say much except that it melts nicely into the next song. 02. Gauntlet Of Solitude - the guitars are cool, the vocals will tear your ears. It is rather short, but good. 03. Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over - I dunno, this song never really appealed to me. I just get bored of it after awhile. I like the guitar sounds, but I usually end up skipping to the next song. Mike does do some deep growling and higher, upbeat screaming, which is cool. 04. And The Sentence Trails - really awesome beginning. This is a song of variety: high screaming, deep growling, singing, violins, and sound effects all in one song-but it all sounds great together. Also some nice double bass action. 05. Rosemary Had An Accident - starts out really hard, and it is one of my favorite songs. They have this one part where there's singing and screaming at the same time, which sound really awesome. The singer is Jeremy DePoyster-he's a great vocalist. I like the part where it praises Christ. 06. Redemption - this-well, it really can't be considered a song, but it makes me think of heaven and relaxes me. 07. Swords, Dragons, And Diet Coke - another favorite. Nice guitars, deep growling that everyone loves. Very hardcore and headbanging, along with some singing parts. Very good song. 08. Who Speaks Spanish, Colon Quesadilla - you can actually hear the bass at one point in this song. I guess I'd have to say it's an average song-not a favorite-but still good. It's a little too erratic for my taste, and about two minutes in the song this wierd singing part starts that I really don't enjoy. 09. Texas Is South - in the beginning, he screams his heart out then jumps right away into deep growling, which switches once again to singing/screaming. The guitars aren't really all that prominent, they focus more on vocals for the first parts of the song. 10. Modeify The Pronunciation - irresistable pounding guitars. Some of Mike's deepest growling in the whole album appears in this song. The violins come in again in this song and make a nice addition. This is another favorite. 11. Salvation - if you're tired, you will probably fall asleep to this song (I know I have). At first, it's just quiet violins and drums, then the drums get a little more prominent and you'll hear some acoustic guitar. Then the electric guitars start-and my favorite part-the violins and electric guitars together. Then if you're asleep, you'll be woken up by some hardcore screaming. This song is a lot like underOATH's Casting Such A Thin Shadow-calm and instrumental, then a little singing, then hardcore screaming. Overall, this band would definitely be in my top ten favorite bands, but not top three. They are talented and good, no doubt about that. If you're a metal fan, you will not be dissapointed by this band. If I lost this album or it was stolen, I would definitely buy it again. No metal collection is complete without them. And some stupid movie ripped of their name!

Shredder Guitar
    HETFIELDHAMMETT wrote: KissingShadows wrote: I heard this on TV, sounded like emo...DEFINITELY not "Heavy Metal". HAHAHAHA WHAT A LOSER. ARE U FREAKIN KIDDING ME BRA. THERE'S NO WAY IN HEAVEN THAT THIS BAND IS EMO. I THINK IT'S LIKE AGAINST THE RELIGION TO BE EMO. DUDE THIS ALBUM IS SO RAW AND HEAVY. LIKE THE BEST TRAX ARE GAUNTLE, DOGS, SENTENCE TRAILS, TEXAS, AND MODEIFY. THIS IS LIKE THE WHOLE FREAKIN ALBUM. D00D NO WAY ARE THEY EMO. THEYRE SO HEAVY METAL AND SOME CONSIDER IT DEATH METAL. BRA UR DEF WRONG
    I wasn't aware that it was "Tape Down Your Caps-Lock Key" Day. Regarding the album, yes, this band is amazing. Great debut.
    BassB3ast123
    Gr8 band. Dogs is an awsome song, btw. and Texas is south is an awsome song live. TDWP rulez
    HETFIELDHAMMETT
    JoshBrown
    The Devil Wears Prada is an amazing band. If you have ever been to there shows then you know what im talking about when i say they are chaotic. But i think some of these songs could have been better on this cd. There newer one; "Plagues", is better sounding. And there guitar riffs don't get as old.
    rockforjesus703
    When I bought the CD, on the cover it said "for fans of Norma Jean, underOATH, and The Chariot". Since I am a fan of those three bands, I decided to try them out. Turns out I liked them, so i figured other fans of NJ, UO, and TC might like TDWP too, since it turned out that way for me. That won't happen to everyone, though, I know that.
    corruptjustice
    mathcore?! hardly. mathcore is more progressive, i'd call norma jean metalcore, or just noisy hardcore
    A.U.S.T.I.N.
    and i'm kinda correcting myself. Norma jean and TDWP are both mathcore, what i meant is that TDWP is poetic so it can't really be classified as "no arrangment"
    evening_crow
    Eh...reviewer's not well informed. The movie didn't rip off their name. In fact, i'm pretty sure it would be more appropraite to say that the band ripped off the name from a book (which is later the basis for the movie mentioned). Just wanted to state that.
    A.U.S.T.I.N.
    the movie and the band's name both came from a previous book. no one ripped off anyone. also, it is similar to norma jean, vocally. technically, not at all, i agree TDWP is very poetic, whereas norma jean is mathcore, which for those who don't know, is a scattered arrangment with no specific verse/chorus pattern. they are a unique band, and the fact that they're music doesn't rely on explicit lyrics like a lot of other newer metal and nu metal bands, makes them even better. i think it's great that christian musicians are changing their musically style, and now that there is christian metal i am even more impressed. this band is awesome, and their new album will be great to
    anduril89
    Awesome to see these guys finally getting recognized. They were nobodies as of a year ago, and they're already huge... Probably thanks to some of the most amazing live shows ever, not to mention a totally unique sound. This review sucks though, it's totally back and forth, and they sound absolutely nothing like The Chariot or Norma Jean or Underoath.
    H_ngm_n
    Saw these guys about a year ago when they weren't so big, they blew me away, they are probably one of the better live bands I've ever seen in my life. Which says a lot. Everyone give them a listen if you haven't already.
    DB is Winner
    "...for fans of Norma Jean, Underoath, and The Chariot, because TDWP is pretty much the same style, though they sound slightly different." Although I can see where one would draw that conclusion, I would say the reviewer chose the wrong bands to compare it to. TDWP is far more mathcore influenced than the super-simplified sound of the aforementioned Solid State bands. Love them both, just think the reviewer could have chosen some better comparisons. Great CD and great band though. Thumbs up.
    !normajean!
    best band ever! this cd is amazing. and every song on it is amazing. i cant wait for the new cd!
    cleft11
    yeah the new album is called plagues - i have an advance copy!! ahahaha! ****ing awesome. you cant spell crap without a c is an awesome song. great review, only thing wrong is that DOGS CAN GROW BEARDS ALL OVER IS FUCKING IMMENSE!!!
    xdirgeinfernox
    i think everyone should check out this band.... they are amazing! i saw them live in june/july and they were crazy!
    Bored to Tears
    I thought this was the movie soundtrack. I was like "wtf is this doing on the site." I might have to check them out sometime.
    rockonmetal83
    im not even christian, but devil wears prada is one of my favorite bands based upon pure musicianship and i have to say this cd blew me away when i first heard it, and it still does today. and if your just gonna bash that theyre christian, just leave this page now.
    -tempest-
    just got this cd. i think its a hit or miss, some song are very well written but some others are a little strange. plagues and roots are better by far by this a good cd for fans of the band.