Plagues review by The Devil Wears Prada

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
The Devil Wears Prada: Plagues

The musicianship on this CD is great. It might not be the most technical stuff out there but it is some of the best for the genre. The guitars go from pure and clean to hellacious distortion without losing any quality in the sound. All the instruments are equally heard on every track. They did a great job recording and mastering.

The lyrics on this CD are amazing. The words match the feelings of the songs almost perfectly. The screams are awesome. They range from death metal growls to screamo highs and the clean singing in this CD are top notch. They mix with the screams so perfectly that the songs are brutal yet soothing at the same time. I don't know how they managed that but I love that they did.

When it comes to metalcore these guys should be at the top of everyones list. I would almost certainly put them up against any other metalcore band out on the market today. I recomend that anyone that likes music they can move to should buy this CD. And if not then you should at least check out the song HTML Rulez D00D and Reptar. King Of The Ozone.

sexclamation
    first off, i think that everyone has established that they are not melodic death metal. i have no idea y seven different people felt that they had to repeat the same damn thing over and over again. second off, they are ****in metalcore douche bags... learn something about the ****ing genre you listen to. think about it... metalcore has the core on the end of it to signify its resemblance to the other core genres. hence the reason that you all think they sound like hardcore or grindcore or some other bullshit. the fact is that the core added on at the end of the word metal allows the devil wears prada to explore other subgenres of metal, such as grindcore, hardcore, death metal, or whatever the hell else they want, as long as they dont completely change their style. so... in conclusion this cd was amazing, not only in musicianship, but the vocals were insanely well done and. overall, the album sounds very professional and they should be commended for their accomplishments, not insulted by your lack of knowledge for music.
    Josh Laiho
    DTTAH
    it's a shame that the re-release of this has been re-recorded and sounds terrible. don't get me wrong i love Plagues, but the re-release will blow
    tdwp91
    chrismetal86 wrote: this is screamo not death metal
    screamo??!!! they're christian hardcore and that is all there is to it
    Eternium
    boyan89 wrote: this band is one of the original metalcore acts along with All That Remains, August Burns Red, Zao and Norma Jean.
    Haha.. no. Not even close.
    boyan89
    CJRulezd00d
    Soadfan8 wrote: this band is terrible. the singer has a bad voice so to make up for it he just screams and thinks hes heavy when really hes just noisy and obnoxious. Also, theres a fine line between being complex and being totally unorganized jumping around from piece to piece with terrible transitions that dont match each other.
    you obviously don't know anything about this band. the screamer does not have a bad voice. i've talked to him in person and he has a very soft speaking voice, and he has the best scream i've ever heard in my life. their songs are complex, but easy to play if you know what you are doing. i learned how to play dogs can grow beards all over (from their old album, dear love) all the way through in less that four hours, and i've only been playing guitar for eight+ months. this band has come such a long way since their old album, but they still have their own original sound. they are nothing like every other metalcore and hardcore band out there. they are christian metalcore and they have one of the most unique sounds out there. and on top of that, they put on the best live shows i've ever been to. it makes me feel like i'm actually listening to the record as loud as it could possibly be. i've been in their pits at least three times, and i'd do it everyday if i could.
    xDeadReckoningx
    there straight up Hardocre... not death-metal. great album and great lyrics.
    Uhh...no. Great album, great lyrics, yes. But they are not "straight up hardcore." Thick As Blood is straight up hardcore. Have Heart is straight up hardcore. These guys? well, i've never quite been able to pin them down, but that's part of why i like them so much.
    xDogz
    everyone on here that argues about what type of music they are is a ****ing bum.. they are the ideal sound for a good ****ing band and they are incredibly talanted.. so who cares what they are just listen and enjoy
    Soadfan8
    hmm. one of those bands thats sweet live but they sound terrible on recording? i could have gone with a couple friends to c them last fall but i didnt want to after listening to this cd. maybe i actually should have gone lol.
    JB guitarist
    I personally dont see how anyone could not like this band. I saw videos of them playing live and I'll admit it sounded terrible. But I saw them myself and it was the best live perfomance I have ever seen. But thats just my opinion
    Soadfan8
    Z_cup_boy
    Blegh I wrote this band off as being some shit scene band using Christian image to gain a fan base....I was wrong. I started liking them alot. Although they could ditch the constant chug chug. But their keyboardist and vocalist are great.
    Hurlinator69
    I love the CD,between daniel's drums of thunder, Andys thumping bass, chris's lickin' riff, Mikes great lyrics, james' screaming synth, and Jeremy's great voice, the band gives a really hard kick in the ass, i just really think that thre should be mor bass guitar in the album, and that mike would try singing some instead of all screams. Jeremy should stick to rhythm, and chris at lead. The band is great.
    rufioisaninja
    this CD is probably the best CD the have ever made the vocals have come along way since the last CD its very surprising how he was able to do it it was a mid tone type scream in the Dear Love CD and in this one its just ranged so high its so amazing and the guitars have such a good flow the them in the CD the guitars are much faster and have more in it then the last CD no matter what people say and the vocals on singing have opened more and are in more songs and used more often which makes the songs sound so much better
    lespaul323920
    Josh Laiho wrote: The Devil Wears Prada is NOT metal people. They aren't even close to being metal. I have no idea where you guys got that they are melodic death metal because they aren't even metal, melodic death metal is more like In Flames (early stuff only, Jester Race - Clayman), Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, just to name a few. The Devil Wears Prada is not talent or original, they sound exactly like all of the other emo/scene, screamo bands out there. If you want a very talented band that is very original listen to Opeth.
    ok so they are "metalcore" , a crossover genre, wich has its metal elements and hardcore elements (the riffs from metal and the brakdown from hardcore). so in other words they are just as much metal as any band you listed if not more so, they are just as heavy if not heavyer than the bands you listed and have just as much talent if not more than the bands you listed. all of those bands you listed are indeed "metal" but realy they bring nothing to the metal table. granted keybords and synths have been used in heavy music befor, but tdwp is the first in the up and comming metal core underground to mix the metal, the hardcore, and the keybord, so the last time i checked that should count as "original". and yes they are slightly melodic because some of the riffs are harmonized. also they are "death" because of the type of low growl mike does (of which is amazing). but weather or not you think that they all sound the same is a matter of opinion but there is no doubt that everything i have just said is FACT. i rest my case (for now unless some other douch tries to undermine the devil wears prada) P.S.- im sorry for any spelling errors