Plagues Review

The Devil Wears Prada: Plagues
Release Date: Aug 21, 2007
Genres: Metalcore, Post-Hardcore
Label: Rise Records
This is The Devil Wears Prada at its heaviest! They've undergone change into a whole new level of melodic death metal.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.8
 8.8
 8.7
 1,124
Plagues Reviewed by: Hofstetter, on december 22, 2007

Sound: The musicianship on this CD is great. It might not be the most technical stuff out there but it is some of the best for the genre. The guitars go from pure and clean to hellacious distortion without losing any quality in the sound. All the instruments are equally heard on every track. They did a great job recording and mastering. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are amazing. The words match the feelings of the songs almost perfectly. The screams are awesome. They range from death metal growls to screamo highs and the clean singing in this CD are top notch. They mix with the screams so perfectly that the songs are brutal yet soothing at the same time. I don't know how they managed that but I love that they did. // 9

Overall Impression: When it comes to metalcore these guys should be at the top of everyones list. I would almost certainly put them up against any other metalcore band out on the market today. I recomend that anyone that likes music they can move to should buy this CD. And if not then you should at least check out the song HTML Rulez D00D and Reptar. King Of The Ozone. // 10

Plagues Reviewed by: cakeamuffin, on november 19, 2012

Sound: I have to start off by saying this album has fantastic production quality, producer Joey Sturgis at his best! The production doesn't sound too raw, but at the same time it's not overproduced. The guitar and bass tones are extremely heavy (as are the breakdowns), and the drums have just the right amount of reverb. All the songs blend into each other, making the album seem more whole as opposed to a random mess of songs just thrown onto a CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on "Plagues" are very poetic and thought-provoking. However, this makes them somewhat difficult for the average listener to understand. But the listener can use this to their advantage by interpreting their own meaning, even multiple meanings, for each song. The lyrics fit well with the music, as both the music and the lyrics are dark and poetic. Mike Hranica also masters the art of screaming, combining ear-piercing highs with lows so brutal they could knock a wild bull out cold. Clean singer Jeremy DePoyster also balances out the brutality with his seductive melodies, giving you the feeling you've been ensnared in a wonderful dream. // 9

Overall Impression: Whether you've been a fan of metalcore for as long as you can remember or if you're just starting to get into the genre, "Plagues" is a must-have album. As the first heavy album I ever had the pleasure of listening to, it sets the standard for any metalcore album and will always stand strong as my number one favourite. Unlike many of today's metalcore albums, the breakdowns really stand out and the screams are far from generic (in fact, they are exceptional). But perhaps the greatest thing about this album that separates it from any other in the genre is its sheer sense of unpredictability. You never know what's going to happen next, giving you a feeling of euphoria and anticipation the whole way through. All the songs are unique in their own way, but my personal favorites are "Goats On A Boat", "Hey John, What's Your Name Again?", and "Reptar, King Of The Ozone". // 10

Plagues Reviewed by: SinisterScythe, on december 03, 2007

Sound: The band is Christian metalcore, There music is incredible they write so much complex stuff I am overwhelmed with this new CD they just released. This album is better then there first one dear love a beautiful discord. I am very stunned how they did on this new one, I personally thought they where going to make it sound the same but I bought it and it sounded so much different new styles, soundings vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just like any other Christian band out there about god and the heavens, I personally like this and the best part they scream them, There lyrics go with there music and sound. There vocalist Mike has outstanding vocals. They mix there vocals with clean and screaming lyrics at times. My impression of these lyrics would be that to keep them up cause they are really good and I am stunned with these lyrics again also, Just like there first album. // 10

Overall Impression: They compare a little bit like norma jean I'd have to say but not the vocals or guitars just the drums and bass lines. The songs on the album are funny like the first album they do that to be who they want "don't dink and drance" I mean people take it seriously but it's what they want it to be. I love this album because the new sound and lyrics they put into this and overall there effort. I dislike the minimal soloing and to much of the same style in some of the songs they need to work on there sounding for different songs. I would totally get this album again not because it's overall good, because I want to support them so they can make better ones in the future. I suggest this album to anyone who loves metalcore for what it is and not what they are. And whoever likes chirstian metal. // 9

Plagues Reviewed by: metalcoredude39, on february 21, 2011

Sound: TDWP has everything you'd expect from a 2000's metalcore band. Screaming, harmonized riffs, and breakdowns. Like most metalcore the songs all seem to stick to the same similar style, which can make it confusing when it comes to telling the songs apart. But this is a good thing, because after listening to the album you feel as if you just got off a 30-minute rollercoaster. On this album, there is a suprise around every corner. With "Reptar, King of the Ozone" being the only song on the album that follows standard verse-chorus form, it is almost impossible to predict what they will play next. // 9

Lyrics: This is no praise band. But TDWP mostly writes lyrics about struggles Christians go through. Therefore, its good. The album's lyrics are insanely vague, yet they make so much sense at the same time. Hahaha. Mike Hranica is an amazing screamer. He has well defined highs, mids and lows, and frequently alternates between the 3 ranges. Jeremy DePoyster, the clean vocalist and guitarist delivers melodic vocals at the appropriate times, and does a kickass job of it. And that is what is so amazing about this band. They can switch from heavy, brutal breakdown and riffs to a quiet, melodic chorus/bridge without making you think you've switched songs or something. // 9

Overall Impression: I really don't know what bands to compare these guys to. They have developed their own sound. As a huge metalcore fan, I've never heard anything exactly like them. The album's standout tracks are Hey John, This Song is Called, and Reptar King of the Ozone. Basically, if you love brutal harmonized riffs, breakdowns, and beautiful melodies you should definitely get this album. // 8

Comments