With Roots Above And Branches Below review by The Devil Wears Prada

• Released: May 5, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
The Devil Wears Prada: With Roots Above And Branches Below

I'll start this off by saying that, this record could not have been more disappointing in my opinion. The overall sound is just a musical mess! It sounds as if Prada went into the studio without any intentions of actually writing a full length record. They were a great metalcore band who displayed a mixture concept and vision to records such as plagues and dear love and the effort alone just sent chills down your spine. It seems as though now they don't care anymore. What they don't understand is, it's not all about being the "heaviest band" in the scene. If you get caught up in being as heavy and raw as you can, the music is gonna turn out terrible, at least for a band that has a clean vocalist and keys. They are a Metal-core band and always will be. I saw this coming when they went to Ferret, honestly. I think the main reason why I don't like this record is because, while the music alone is amazing, it is so poorly put together that nothing fits and therefore sounds sloppy. Mike's new vocal style just adds to the sloppy effect. Now this doesn't apply to all songs in general, Louder Than Thunder is very well put together and is just epic. That's the best way I can describe it. Dez Moines is pretty well thought out also.

The Lyrics are arguably the best part about this record. Prada somewhat maintained that ability throughout their dramatic decline with this latest release. The lyrics to Plagues of course, blow this out of the water but then again the whole record completely blows it out of the water as well. One of the big things that I always loved about Prada was that they had a concept. The artwork, lyrics, and everything seemed to jump out at you and tell the story we all know from Exodus, in a totally new and unique perspective and view. This record did not do that at all. There is no concept and the artwork is just pathetic. Lyric wise, this record is pretty solid. But Let's talk about vocals. Mike now sounds like he is yelling at the top of his lungs as loud and obnoxiously as he possibly can. He has lost the ability to do the high shrieks I always anticipated in Plagues. Vocally, Mike sounds like a train wreck. He used to bring a clear, crisp and powerful tone to the record instead of this Raw, annoying, yell he produces now. However, I will say one thing, his lows and growls have increased dramatically.

Overall this record was a disappointment. Very Sloppy. It's definitely not generic, but it still is a very poor record. The good things about this album is that Jeremy's vocals have soared, Mike's lows are better, the music has definitely matured, and Daniel's kit sounds even more amazing and the fact that he has clearly become a better drummer. The things I don't like about this album is First of all, the lack of concept and emotion. Second, Mike's new vocal technique, The way the music is so poorly arranged, The lyrics aren't as epic and impressive, oh and the names of their songs haha Ben has a kid? Are you serious? If it were lost or stolen, I would probably go buy The Word Alive's new EP instead. Check it.

AILDRulezD00d
    This album is really good. Generic (deny it all you want...) but awesome. I like how they incorporated the synth more... I dont like wapakalypse and danger wildman too much because the songs dont seem to flow... it might just be me though. GIMME HALF=BEST TRACK. KILLER BREAKDOWN
    gypsyjew22
    Best record ever. Best Band live enough said...oh and there are plenty of lows on the album, there are more on this album then plagues ahhhh so amazing, brilliant and the ultimate gupsycore
    ty0515
    I saw them live at warped tour, and heard Danger: Wildman live and it is just as good as the album if not better, his voice is very little effected by recording editing. By far my most favorite album.
    mike_biro727
    Gregray88 wrote: Not a fan of the band, but I like that they named a song after a quote from The Office
    THe Office is the best show ever the name of that song got me to listen to this album
    -tempest-
    its grown on me after leaving it alone for a while. the syth in one song ruins that track, i have no gripes past that. solid effort
    andeen10
    My first experince with this band was with Plauges... im sorry to anyone who loves Plagues... and IMO I think it is really bad, I just don't like it. When I saw they came out with a new album I thought WTH I'll give them another chance... and I was blown away. They truely improved (vocally mainly). I now say I am a Fan of TDWP Two of my favorite songs off this album are Ben Has A Kid Assistant To The Regional Manager
    Campbell22
    Seriously I listened to all the album in order, Dear love, Plague and this one, and it's my favorite, it kicks asses !
    ForeverInUtero
    WTF? why does everyone like WRAABB? its a PIECE OF CRAP compared to Plagues and Dear Love. Plagues was ART, and this is just a bunch of songs thrown together. the thing that killed it for me were Mike's vocals. His vocals made me fall in love with TDWP! and now it sounds like he's just gonna yell all the time like Oli from BMTH! WTF?! where are the amazing high sheiks that scare the shit out of you? thats what made me falll in love with TDWP, and now its gone.