Zombie review by The Devil Wears Prada

• Released: Aug 24, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
The Devil Wears Prada: Zombie

The new EP from The Devil Wears Prada is significantly heavier than their previous albums. This is both good and bad. The music sounds great, everyone seems to have improved, but the keyboard wasn't featured a whole lot. The songs sort of sound the same, so at times it seemed like I was listening to the same song again. It also seems like the new approach isn't quite what works for The Devil Wears Prada.

Now the lyrics aren't much, kind of simple and generic at some points, but the songs are about zombies. What more do you want? Mike Hranica usually writes wonderful lyrics that are like none other, but this time their not so gripping or moving. In the song "Survivor" the lyrics just don't work, but this is my opinion. Maybe someone else really enjoys that song.

While it does not seem to symbolize The Devil Wears Prada at their best, the members are continuing to improve at their own skills. It is definitely worth listening to by The Devil Wears Prada fans and metalheads alike. I'm looking forward to seeing their new album in 2011.

Lt.DanHasLegs
    Emmanuel200 wrote: Metalcore...? Quit making up genres!!
    BlackSymphony6
    Emmanuel200 wrote: Metalcore...? Quit making up genres!!
    metalcore has been an established genre for a decade or more, hwere have you been boy?
    Caboose911
    wow there is a lot of haters in the comments here. i really like this EP. it may not be the old DWP but its still damn good.
    chronikmusik
    EpiExplorer wrote: Doesn't change it from being crap, man.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend
    theoldwizard
    benx3000 wrote: Metalcore, please die. This EP sounds the same as every single other metalcore album ever. Love, Ben.
    And I'm supposed to believe you listened to this EP, right? ..Along with "every single other metalcore album". Shut the f*ck up and listen to your own damn music, you ass clown.
    ProgJazzMath
    I actually enjoyed some of this EP. There were a few very good riffs, and I did dig a few breakdowns. To the guy calling the singing "emo", listen to an actual Emo band and then compare it to The Devil Wears Prada. Otherwise quit with the stereotypes.
    The band itself is not scene and I have no idea of the relevance with zombies and scene kids. Personally, I hate the term "scene" when you are referring to a person. TDWP get looked down upon partly because of their audience, which is very unfortunate because I do enjoy some of their stuff.
    chronikmusik
    EpiExplorer wrote: Doesn't change it from being crap, man.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend
    chronikmusik
    Now it could be the fact that i live in the middle of butt**** nowhere away from any real trends, except jersey shore...**** sakes. But up in ye ol northern Alberta, we get the luxury of listening to just the music and not dealing with the horseshit genre wars and the hate that every close minded individual needs to display. Myself and many of my friends listen to tdwp yet we are farmers, oilfield workers and tradesmen. So it's not just "scene" kids who listen to it. I enjoy a wealth of music from Opeth, Merle Haggard, Naglfar, Nickelback, Afroman, Machine Head, Alan Jackson, BTBAM, dubstep, folk and everything in between. The beautiful thing about music is that it reaches everyone in their own way,some people will listen to tdwp at a stage in their life and it'll strike a chord and possibly get them on the path of exploring heavier music, who the **** are you to judge? By doing so you put yourself on the same level as every close minded twat who put down your ipod list when you were growing up. Keep the negativity to yourselves people.
    devilskommander
    jekke_rocks
    When you look at the music on this album, it's really very thrashy and heavy. So stop the hatin!
    theoldwizard
    BwareDWare94 wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: BwareDWare94 wrote: acepalm TWDP are a ripoff of every metalcore band that has ever existed. Yeah. Uhm, Facepalm to you brother. The Devil Wears Prada have been making this music for about 6 years now. They are totally not a rip-off band. That's my two cents... Preach on... un-educated trolls. 6 years ago eh? Let's see. Metalcore has been around since at least 10 years ago and some of the earlier albums that influenced it include much of mid to late 90s Melodeath (see Killswitch's 'Alive or Just Breathing' in order to hear that) as well as post-hardcore albums such as The Opposite of December. So I don't see how you can call me uneducated. Perhaps you need to learn your shit. This bad is awful man. No two ways about it.
    Yeah there are two ways about it. It's called an opinion. If you don't like this band, then why the **** are you even here?
    Megalomaniac46
    EpiExplorer : Cheeselord wrote: DudeI'mOnAlesse wrote: EpiExplorer all you do is bitch about bands you dont like on UG articles you stuck up bastard QFT So? What exactly is the point you're conveying to me here? Is it a 'HEY DONT BE A HYPOCRIT' or 'STOP HATING ON MAH BAAANDS' cuz either way it means balls.
    I think the point is you need to find something better to do with your time. P.s. This ep is definitely worth a listen.
    Sam Rulez D00d
    Amen.
    FearOfTheDuck
    Lt.DanHasLegs wrote: Emmanuel200 wrote: Metalcore...? Quit making up genres!! ....Since when is metalcore not an actual genre? it makes so much sense to mix metal and hardcore and if you did, calling it metalcore is a pretty great name. Quit being an elitist.
    People label Bullet for my Valentine Metalcore, but i can't seem to find the hardcore. A band like Bring Me the Horizon if anything are Metalcore, they combine metal with massive hardcore beatdowns and gang vocals.
    Adam124
    Stop bitching guys. Why argue at how much this band sucks? Just enjoy music dude. It's awesome.
    DudeI'mOnAlesse
    EpiExplorer wrote: -tempest- wrote: your missing my point, it bothers me the ep got a user rating of 6 when it deserves better. people actually use tis site for cd ratings other than guitarists. ive seen it happen. why miss lead people because they have a premeditated hate for the band. i bet not even 1 out of 5 people who rated listened to the songs they wrote just because of their band name. get it? Well thats something you'll just have to accept instead of bitch about it. Good conversation material though, might want to save it for later: 'Ya know how on UG where such and such is so and so and it sucks..' etc.
    -tempest-
    nudude
    This album is amazing i think it is a huge step up as far as guitar technicality and heaviness if they continue with this new sound i will be one happy TDWP fan!
    Caboose911
    i actually like the EP a lot.
    remyarabb1 wrote: This is awesome music to play battlefield11943 to!
    ....xicetraex! I second that! /facepalm
    danimalhxc
    elleild
    I like the feeling i get when i listen to it, they build it up pretty well with the intros and the awesome piano pieces!
    SGofawesome
    BwareDWare94 wrote: danimalhxc wrote: Everyone's a hater nowadays... Personally I think this is a great ep! TDWP have done it again. They're a pretty damn good band. Most bands now are just TDWP ripoffs. *Facepalm TWDP are a ripoff of every metalcore band that has ever existed.
    I fail to agree. TDWP were THE premiere band that made metalcore one of the most popular genres of the day. All the other bands are definitely TDWP ripoffs. Anyone who can cover a rap song and makes it sound extremely well is good in my books. It's just all those scene people who like them just because everyone else does. I will admit though, I don't care for 5 breakdowns in a song though.
    Maggot66
    You all need to calm down. Sheesh. This EP was kickass. Awesome concept and well done. Congratz, TDWP.
    Devilslayer168
    EpiExplorer wrote: Metallidethium wrote: TheAmenCorner89 : Haven't heard the new EP, but I saw these guys live last october/november and they have to one of the most boring live bands I've ever see pardon? not very good with crowd conversation but they definitely make the room move. this is definitely an interesting piece of work, their new album should be interesting as well when it is released hopefully next year They make the room move because most of their key audience demographic is composed of trend following 15 year olds. They're the only people who like crap like this.. and usually the only people who go to the shows, I should imagine.
    trend following?? lmao... trend following nowadays is hip hop shit and pop.
    Metallidethium
    Timo9500 : Metallidethium wrote: EpiExplorer : Metallidethium wrote: TheAmenCorner89 : Haven't heard the new EP, but I saw these guys live last october/november and they have to one of the most boring live bands I've ever see pardon? not very good with crowd conversation but they definitely make the room move. this is definitely an interesting piece of work, their new album should be interesting as well when it is released hopefully next year They make the room move because most of their key audience demographic is composed of trend following 15 year olds. They're the only people who like crap like this.. and usually the only people who go to the shows, I should imagine. Oh, sure not much can be said for some of those simply following bands like TDWP, but I listen to everything from the Beatles to Metallica, etc. so to generalize everyone into the shtick you want them in is wrong and narrow minded. Your cock is wong and narrow!
    Good one. Spelling gaffe aside, this comment is still on par with the immaturity I would expect from some of you miscreants. Grow up.
    -tempest-
    honestly the user rating is low because of their name. get over it and give the music a rating, not what you think of the band as a whole, because no one gives a flying fu ck about what you think. lets focus here.
    whatbox!!!
    Timo9500 wrote: Brutalious wrote: Just when you think this band couldn't get anymore scene, they pull the zombie card. As far is the actual music goes, yeah it still sucks. +1
    have you heard the album its pretty bad ass
    synths
    Well chronikmusik nailed it right on the head. Though I may agree to some degree with the scene stuff and generic this and that, I still think people needlessly hate. Most are probably college age musicians whos band never got signed from making their own generic bullshit, so now they're salty about it. haha Otherwise Im not a fan of TDWP but this EP sounds half decent. Like the creepy sounding ambient parts scattered throughout it. Not bad.
    aCloudConnected
    I definitely think this is the best thing they've ever put out. It's great. I love the direction they're heading in.
    Jon777
    Admittedly, I don't care for TDWP much, but this EP is surprisingly decent.
    shuriken
    The Spoon wrote: I like the direction they're starting to head in. Their songwriting and composition has gotten so much better than their first two albums.
    :cheers:
    androidkaita
    I loved it, the first 3 songs especially. My two favorites are outnumbered and the first song (I still dont know if it's anatomy or escape) The sound effects in it are awesome
    The Spoon
    Adam124
    Quite enjoyed the EP. You could argue that it was a little overproduced though..
    Drift king77
    devilskommander wrote: Oh no! I'm gonna dis a band because I don't like the way they sound! Seriously, if you don't have something important to say, or something that makes you sound like a complete douche, you really don't need to say it. TDWP IS TEH SUCKK OLOLOL. Now, im excited for this, although I haven't heard it yet.
    We share the same opinion, people should spend less time attempting to troll, and more time apreciating the music. I too, am excited to hear this EP.
    mongrels
    The EP is like a new twist on the sound of TDWP and i have to say i loved it, it REALLY works and makes you wanna mosh!
    Alpha_Wolf
    Holy crap you people are annoying. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to read comment pages on here anymore.
    Alpha_Wolf
    axelboy666 wrote: why would you name your band after a gay ass book? just asking
    It does have a meaning behind it. Go look it up.
    punisher_spawn
    your opinion is your opinion. quit trying to shove it on other people. you lot are carrying on like 13 year old school girls. what happened to civility? liked the EP btw peace.
    disembodied
    ppl if u dnt like the band leave. i know alot of ppl who love this band and im one of em. plz keep ur opinions to urself and comment and that bring me the horizon crap. that stuff sux this stuff is good. and metalcore is a genre look it up ppl. i would know i play in a metalcore band
    Shredder Guitar
    I really believe it doesn't sound the same as all metalcore, because it really isn't all that traditional. This band hardly sounds like "every other metalcore/hxc band out there." Mike's vocals are easily distinguished amongst other vocalists, and there isn't a trace of any hardcore influence in this EP. I thoroughly enjoyed. It proves that the band loves to write whatever they damn well please.
    Timo9500
    I like theyre old stuff, but they have just completely changed their genre. Its all death on this album. Dont really like it.