Option Paralysis review by The Dillinger Escape Plan

• Released: Mar 23, 2010
The Dillinger Escape Plan: Option Paralysis

I have said this before. I have a friend who once likened the music of Dillinger Escape Plan to the result of sitting on the Garden State Parkway on a Friday night, during the summer months. It's one of the most trafficked roads in the state, at the busiest time of year. Sitting in that traffic is enough to make you morph into Michael Douglas' mentally crumbling character into the excellent, early-'90s film, Falling Down. Or it leads you to create some (perhaps unintentionally) cathartic music. With Option Paralysis, Dillinger Escape Plan move away from being saddled with those annoying "whacky time signature" and "math metal" tags that have been lain at their doorstep since their inception. Hell, even I called them that, and I've been writing about them their whole career. I don't give any albums a "10" score, because, well, I don't, but this one comes as close to near-perfect as I can score it. And that's not just because they are my fellow New Jersey brethren, either! Their shit is just awesome: noisy, loud, complicated, astounding, intense and helps me to get the red out. It's because of a band like Dillinger Escape Plan that I don't strangle water buffalo with my bare hands. Option Paralysis finds the band as chaotic as ever, with choppy, distorted, equilibrium-fucking moments that make you scratch your head and wonder "How the FUCK do they come up with this stuff?" Guitarist Ben Weinman is so spastic it makes me wonder if his arms will fall off from the fury with which he abuses them. "Farewell Mona Lisa" and "Good Neighbor" will leave you with a bloody nose and punch drunk. Both songs are out there, but they never drift into "too weird for their own good" territory. "Gold Teeth on a Bum" great title, guys - is a the most mellow song on the album, as Dillinger explores the more melodic side of their musical personality without ever wimping out. And just when you think, wow, Dillinger are really trying something unexpected, they come back with another boot to the groin. It's that type of volatility that hooks me and never lets me go, even if they pull back the bait.

Ah, Greg Puciato. He's got so much dimension and so many different patterns that he's effectively another well-oiled instrument in the Dillinger arsenal. Sure, he'll garner some comparisons to fellow-forward-thinker (and Dillinger fan, as he handled vocals on an EP for the band a decade ago) Mike Patton. Puciato's mouth is like a computer, as he twists and contorts it to make so many different noises and sounds that don't even present themselves as human. His scream is just as potent as his cleaner singing and there's an adenoidal quality to his voice on "Gold Teeth" and "Crystal Morning." I swear there are voices on this album I've never heard him do before, and I'm a Dillinger fan and follower. It's as though "always keep 'em guessing" was the band's motto and mantra when they commenced the processes for Option Paralysis.

This is one of those albums that leaves me snakebitten. No matter how tired I am, I can't escape the gravitational pull of the music, which sucks me in like an industrial-sized Hoover vacuum cleaner. Option Paralysis' deft use of precision, speed and mindfuckery is just what the doctor ordered after a bad day or a particularly nasty encounter with a rude stranger on the streets of New York City. Instead of snapping necks, I turn this up louder on my iPod. Who'd have thunk it? Dillinger Escape Plan as a public safety measure. I'm in. You should be too!

mr_snuggle
    Meshugga is more Djent. Gojira is just bad. Dillinger pwns n00bs. I watched the Farewell Mona Lisa video and mentally shat my pants. It was awesome. High hopes for the CD. And Fever? REALLY? BFMV topping Dillinger? That's just ignorant.
    YamiJoey
    This album is quickly replacing Ire Works as my favourite album of all time. Damn you Dillinger, you've done it again! I was expecting this is be crap, TBH. I didn't think they'd be able to top Ire Works.
    Tazza89
    I think the whole album is brilliant, and that their live show is probably one of the best shows i have ever been to. I don't get how people can compare their music to mastodon however. ???
    synestershadows
    awsomeguitarguy wrote: zlashy wrote: Probably the best album 2010 will give us! Perfect! fever or the powerless rise will be 10x better
    Lol! Neither AILD nor BFMV can write music worth of shit!
    uninsane_guitar
    MAXPAYNE4664
    uninsane_guitar wrote: Saw them at Warped this year, met them all, got my copy of Option Paraysis signed, Jeff Tuttle played his guitar in the middle of the circle pit and gave me a bro hug afterwards lol (I was in front of him pushing people outta the way haha) and when I got up to the front (in true DEP style, by steppin on heads!!!) I got to scream with Greg on the song Farewell, Mona Lisa (WHAT DID YOU EXPECT FROM US?! WE'RE MUDERERS!) and in the middle of the set he handed me a Monster tour water because "this kid has been gettin crazy all day he needs a fu-king drink!" I must say, having been a fan for the past 4 years or so, it was the opportunity of a lifetime to see them rape the stage like they did! Greg climbed on speakers, Ben threw his guitar all over the place (surprised he didn't break it, I want his strap locks lol) and it was my favorite performance of the day. Btw, Greg and Ben give very firm handshakes, Greg almost killed my hand lol. Great job guys, DEP FTMFW!!!
    Sounds like a blast! I saw them at Warped as well. Best band of the day. Didn't get to meet Jeff because he kinda avoided me. I wouldn't blame him. My face was destroyed after seeing them scorch posers on Main stage.
    Andrew C. S.
    HavokStrife wrote: Never got this whole silly metal thing, or whatever. They had a song off Miss Machine...Unretrofied? Only good thing I ever heard from them. Unfortunately had to sit through their live show twice as well. I really don't care if you can climb around and throw your guitar over your head if I can't understand a damn thing you're playing... I really thought bands that do, you know, real mathcore, like Messhugah or Gojira or something, would have blown them off the face of the earth a long time ago..
    Just because YOU don't understand something doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.
    'TallicaRules
    GREENWARRI0R : 'TallicaRules wrote: Whoa...Gojira is crappy?? You dont know what u r talkin about. To each their own. Personally, I find nothing special when it comes to Gojira.
    Then we can agree to disagree ;-P
    TheBassment
    Soo f--cking amazing. Will have this album on repeat for the rest of the week, if not, longer. Really DEP, you've outdone yourselves.
    Andragon
    Well done on the review, Amy. I wish Patton would collaborate more with DEP. Looking forward to a listen and likely buy.
    loungeact88
    Can't wait to see the guys live for the first time this upcoming Tuesday! I have high expectations for their live show and I think there's no way they could disappoint me.
    salamander121
    Got the limited edition digipack and I must say it takes the best qualities of the past two albums and combines them. As well as adding new jazzier stuff.
    EpiExplorer
    Didnt like it too much. It reminded me of SikTh and then I got all annoyed that SikTh werent around anymore.. But I'll listen more, I promise! D:
    sottpwn
    Brilliant album. Not very often that bands get so much better with each album.
    WarmBlooded
    First, if the only thing you've liked by them is unretrofied then you obviously aren't a fan of their style of music. Secondly, Gojira and Meshuggah's music is not like DEPs and I don't think DEP tries to resemble that style. That's technical metal not mathcore. Lastly, they are pretty accurate with their live playing even if they move around a lot. Take your ignorance and shitty sarcasm elsewhere. That being said...its a pretty solid album and good progression for the band but Miss Machine still reigns supreme.
    Tire Me.
    Excellent album, good review. I only disagree with the tag "math-metal" instead of the more deserved "mathcore." When I think math-metal I think Meshuggah.
    AdenZerda
    Nicely written. I'm surprised that there was no mention of "Widower", though. Awesome step forward for them. The vinyl preorder got delayed, won't get it for another week or so. :C
    the man in reno
    If i were to label dillinger escape plan it wouldn't be mathcore or math-metal it would be just plain fnckiug awesome! I bought the album and heard Farewell Mona Lisa for the 1st time and i thought the cd was skipping, it's so fast!
    HavokStrife
    stndrdprcdre
    I must be the only one who thought the review was a little too fanboy-ish. Bloody nose and a kick to the groin?
    kill it
    i went to get this cd today and they said the release date was moved to april 13th. i nearly cried.
    EpiExplorer
    xicetraex wrote: Mathcore? Couldn't they think of a cooler name for a made-up genre?
    Maths is complex, this style of musics complex. Pretty apt if you ask me.
    Death_To_Emo
    Amazing album. And for the different voices, I'm not sure, but I heard Jeff sings some backup on this album
    kamjam7
    Good stuff. Does sound like SikTh, but huge mastodon and between the buried and me influence too. to HavokStrife, as far as i'm concerned gojira hasn't ever been math metal. Great cd, makes me think mastodon and BTBAM too much.
    AdenZerda
    GREENWARRI0R wrote: I love Calculating Infinity. Didn't really like Ire Works much... all I've listened to by these guys. Gonna check this one out.
    Sorry for the double post, but go listen to Miss Machine. Now. And then listen to this.
    GREENWARRI0R
    To each their own. Personally, I find nothing special when it comes to Gojira.
    jonathanonfire
    god damn amazing live. and you fags shouldn't compare to other bands. dillinger has been out for a long long time. way before. so if anything THEY influenced more recent bands. pfft. along with good ol' converge of course. xD
    Shread_6009
    my god i just checked out some tracks off this new album and it is just ****ing incredible... along with ihsahn's new album this could be one of the best of 2010
    Amuro Jay
    Meshuggah are not mathcore
    Not really. Mathcore is a combination of math rock and hardcore, and yeah, whatever. Anyway, I think I'll check this out.
    darth awsome
    I psyched to see them Friday! Its going to be the most intense show I've ever been to. their music is pure mind****.
    kerguitar08
    Bought the album yesterday and been listening to it nonstop. Awesome album. They also came here yesterday but I missed them, but will see them on Warped Tour. I saw them live when they were supporting Ire Works and was impressed, and plan on being so at Warped Tour.
    'TallicaRules
    GREENWARRI0R : HavokStrife wrote: I really thought bands that do, you know, real mathcore, like Messhugah or Gojira or something, would have blown them off the face of the earth a long time ago.. Meshuggah is not mathcore. Neither is Gojira, but even if they were they are pretty crappy. Do you even know what you are talking about?
    Whoa...Gojira is crappy?? You dont know what u r talkin about.
    some.will.seek
    I couldn't classify them really. I mean, the song 'Black Bubblegum' doesn't fit into 'mathcore' at all...not saying that one song defines a band...but, it shows their versatility. This album is the best album of the year so far. I cannot get enough it...it blows my mind.
    djurico666
    I like both of those bands but I don't think either of those records will come close to Dillingers. Option Paralysis is so ****ing good.
    awsomeguitarguy
    zlashy wrote: Probably the best album 2010 will give us! Perfect!
    fever or the powerless rise will be 10x better