Cabin By The Sea review by The Dirty Heads

• Released: Jun 19, 2012
The Dirty Heads: Cabin By The Sea

TDH is definitely one of those reggae rock type bands that I can actually bare myself listening to. Influenced by Sublime, you can already tell by what type of direction these guys are heading to. This album is a huge step up from their first album, "Any Port In A Storm". I felt like that album had too much filler, and too much rapping going on. Don't get me wrong, there's a few songs on this album that feature rapping, but it wasn't overly bad. I just prefer the chill-type songs that you can just relax to on a nice, summer day (or for most people this is what pot smokers like).

Lyrics are what I call pretty good on this album. As usual, they make very chill music, so the lyrics are chill as well. In "Best Of Us", some of the lyrics go, "She doesn't get mad when I'm out of control. When I'm blacked out drunk, at the top of my lungs. Man she just laughs and rolls. She's my lady, baby I know this is always true. I see you yellin' at your girlfriend, Mine's the sh-t, well how 'bout you?" I like the story it's telling, and I, myself, wish I could have a girlfriend like this (don't even have one -_-). The lead single, "Spread Too Thin" also features some lyrics that I had gotten interested in. "Well everybody's callin, but I just need some time. Yeah I just need some room to breathe again. A way to clear my mind. You don't need to be here all up in my face. We need to find the right solution to put you in your place."

I am no reggae fanatic, but I did like this album. For fans of Sublime, 311, Bob Marley, Matisyahu, and other reggae acts. Good effort from TDH, overall.

moscaespañol
    vppark2
    moscaespaol wrote: I need to find this somewhere. I took a liking to 'Way Too Thin' when it first came out, is the rest of the album similar to that?
    It's called "Spread Too Thin" and most of the songs on this album r like that. Chill, and relieving. Very few songs with straight rapping on it, so i enjoyed this album overall.