Coral Fang review by The Distillers

• Released: Oct 14, 2003
The Distillers: Coral Fang

Well incase you haven't read any of the other reveiws for this album it's The Distillers 3rd. I was drawn to the Distillers in about 2001 when I heard a sample of their first self-titled album. That album amazed me and they didn't let me down with their second album "Sing Sing Death House". And now "Coral Fang" has arrived, dont get me wrong it's an amazing album, but the thing is brody dalle isnt really meant to be so soft, its not as hard and fast punk/rock as the other two so I would have to say I was the slightest bit dissapointed. The sound is different, I'm just not used to it.

Sighs remember lyrics like this? "We are the revenants and we will rise up from the dead we become the living we come back to reclaim our stolen breath" absolute masterpeice? Well in Coral Fang I can't find any lyrics like that, I find the lyrics some-what pointless and meaningless, sure "The Hunger" does have some meaning to it, but I find the lyrics not making sense. Of course I do like the lyrics but I made the mistake of setting my expectations too high as did the distillers for setting their standards and I mean come on compare "The Young Crazed Peeling" lyrics to "Love Is Paranoid."

I remember thinking it was impossible to bag out a Distillers album and here I am doing it, wait no I am not bagging it just recommending it for those who like pop/rock not punk/rock and I'm a punk/rock fan I'm afraid. Of course some of these songs do go quite hard like "Coral Fang" and even "Die On A Rope" but for me the distillers are not a band to sit, listen and to cry to but more to jump around, have a scream and punch a wall while listening to the wonderful guitar playing and hot vocals by brody. And yes if this album was stolen I would definetly buy it again, I was not totally bagging this album, just warning those distillers fans who haven't heard it yet.

South-of-Heaven
    I'm getting this album. Drain the Blood and Beat Your Heart out are soo cool, and here are some pretty good reviews. Long live Punk!!